Tiny the Wonderbull

November 6, 2012

Left for dead in a sack, this pit bull grew up to be a hero and service dog for his Grams and Gramps

Submitted by Judy Parks

Ten years ago a boy named Cody was shopping at Albertson’s. He heard something coming from a bag in a shopping cart and went to see what it was. The bag was full of puppies. I was one of them. I was the only one alive; the other three were dead. Cody rushed the bag of other puppies home to his mom, Bonnie (I call her Grandma). While she was looking at me, Cody buried the other puppies.

They rushed me to the vet. The vet said that with care and love I would live. When my grandma asked what kind of dog I was, the vet said, “Looks like a pit bull.” I heard my grandma say, “Oh my god, not a pit bull. That is the worst kind of dog ever.” She told Cody that he could only keep me until I was well enough to find another home. After all, I was a pit bull and pit bulls are “killers,” and they “hate other animals.”

So Cody took me to his Grams’ and Gramps’ house to stay until I was healthy. Believe me, they were not too thrilled to have a pit bull in the house. Because, of course, when I got big I was going to turn on them and kill them (or so some thought). I got my name because whenever they said, “Tiny,” I would look at them and wag my tail. So I guess I named myself. As I grew, so did my heart and my personality. I loved everyone and begged him or her to love me. Grams started to teach me tricks. There wasn’t a trick I couldn’t learn. Nothing was too hard. They say I am the smartest dog they have ever seen. I would go and get them things like shoes and the newspaper. I even carried Grams’ gardening bucket for her. Needless to say, they kept me.

I had a home and everyone was happy. I was so smart that I got certified as a service “Wonderbull.” Two years ago Gramps had a brain tumor removed. I brought him his pills and even forced him to get up and walk around when he didn’t want to. I helped him get better. I helped him heal. In May, Grams was diagnosed with colon cancer. She was in the hospital for so long. I would put my head on her chair and on her bed waiting for her to come home. When I would go to the hospital I would just stare at her. I was so worried. Finally in June she got to come home. She is having chemotherapy now.

Sometimes when she doesn’t feel good or is sad I make her laugh. I do silly things and I tell her about everything (I am a very vocal boy). Then three weeks ago Grams saw a bump the size of a dime on my tummy by my leg. She rushed me to the vet to see what it was. Before the test results came back, the lump had grown to the size of a baseball. It was a cancerous mast cell tumor. The vet said that it couldn’t be operated on, and because of how fast it grew that radiation and chemotherapy would not be good. He said that I couldn’t have surgery because the tumor is growing too fast and had made my body weak.

I am comfortable and still happy. I have not lost my life. Grams has adopted four other “wonderbulls” and fostered hundreds. Before I end my journey here I have one request from each and every one that sees my story. Please keep up the fight to end breed-discriminatory legislation. And don’t stop fighting until there are no homeless dogs. We are not throw-aways. After I am gone my grandma will keep posting dogs in need on my page. She promised to continue our fight!

Update: Oct. 1, 2012
This is Bonnie, Tiny’s grandma. Tiny ended his journey on Earth last night at 9:30. He began an exciting journey to the Rainbow Bridge. The family was there with him. We had such a full weekend doing fun stuff that I haven’t got a chance to post the latest pictures. When Tiny awoke yesterday I could tell he was feeling bad. He still insisted on getting the paper and protecting the yard form the blue jays. He spent most of the day lying on the grass with Capone. Last night he gathered his Pooh bear and lay on his big pillow. We were talking about his life and how he made us laugh. He closed his eyes and was gone. His tail didn’t stop wagging until the end. In the next couple of days I will post the rest of his weekend pictures. Then I will post dogs available throughout the country who are available for adoption. We have great plans for a tribute to Tiny that I will tell everyone about later. Right now I have to be with the family when we lay Tiny to rest under his favorite tree. Thank you everyone for being there and being his friend. He is a very special dog.

« « Delilah to the Rescue | Where Does the Hatred Come From? » »

Comments

20 Responses to “Tiny the Wonderbull”
  1. ChristineDayWenrich says:

What a Beautiful and heartwarming story… I am so happy that Tiny had a “happily ever after” life and was a true merit to his breed! Thank you for sharing!

2. klp2b8 says:

Truly a wonderful tribute to an amazing Wonderbull.

3. StephanieRiceCauler says:

I cried so bad when i read this story..I am so glad that u found tiny and kept him…he was an amazing dog..Pitties are so misunderstood..they are amazing dogs and very smart. R.I.P tiny and let the wind guide u in peace and happiness…you will be greatly missed.

4. barbaraleeanderson07090 says:

Strange how a story like this can be so sad and so beautiful, all at the same time.  It’s so sad that this world has lost Tiny, but beautiful that he was here and given the opportunity to live, love, and teach people how truly magnificent pitties really are.  Can’t wait to meet him someday, beyond that rainbow bridge.

@barbaraleeanderson07090 Aw Barbara, now we’re crying all over again, such a beautiful sentiment.

5. GreggBarnes says:

I really have to stop reading these posts at work. Makes me look like a fool sitting at my desk with my eyes leaking. What a great story! Im glad they changed their mind and decided to keep Tiny. Its amazing how awesome these dogs are.

6. mcbeth6o7 says:

Pit Bulls are NOT “killers or haters”. They are sweet, attentive, loyal loves. PLEASE stop th BSL BS !!!

7. ReneeMKeller says:

What a beautiful story.  Thank you for sharing Tiny with the world!!  He sure was a special pup.  Rest in peace Tiny xoxo

8. Matt.S says:

Run Free, Tiny. When you see my angel, Herman, keep him company until I meet him again. I promise to stay in the struggle for my angel, Herman and for the “WonderBulls” like yourself until our victory over ignorance and hate.

9. Matt.S says:

Run Free, Tiny. you changed hearts & minds. The life you lived made other lives better.

10. avegas72 says:

What a wonderful story. I’m glad you took a chance and saw how special these dogs really are.
    He’s a beautiful boy!
    Rest in peace Tiny.

11. Pupperiffic says:

“Gram” and “Gramps,” my hearts go out to you both on the loss of your Wonderbull.  What a magical dog.  Funny how perceptions change, huh?  Anyway, kudos to both of you for overcoming your prejudices/misgivings about pitties and falling in love with this amazing boy, and for giving him the loving home he deserved.  It sounds like you both saved each other.  He went to the Rainbow Bridge a very happy dog.  XOXO

12. BonnieHoltMcgrew says:

Hi This is Bonnie, Tiny’s Grandma. Thank you Stubbydog for the honor to introduce our Tiny to the world. He was a teacher and he changed the minds of everyone that he met. He was such a special boy. We have rescued 100’s and have kept 4 other WONDERBULLS. We are teaching Tank how to pull a wheel chair and when the time comes we will give him to a family that will need his services. Capone is trying to fill the void that Tiny has left, and he is such a fast learner. Shady is a wonderful girl and loves everyone. Nina was a bait dog, she is shy but she love with a passion. Thank you to everyone that has commented.
    ONDER

Thank you Bonnie for not only giving Tiny such an amazing life, but for continuing his legacy and helping so many other dogs.

13. fayely10 says:

a poem i wrote for all those who have lost someone so dear to their ♥s
    Mist

to those once with us, who no longer remain,

we feel your loss, and it causes pain.

but we know you are in a place of peace,

with others, just like you,

whose troubles have ceased.

your tenure on earth with us never enough,

yes we go on, but at times it is rough.

14. fayely10 says:

Mist… a poem i wrote  for all those who have touched our ♥ s and graced our lives, and now fly with the angels

to those once with us, who no longer remain,

we feel your loss, and it causes pain.

but we know you are in a place of peace,

with others, just like you,

whose troubles have ceased.

your tenure on earth with us never enough,

yes we go on, but at times it is rough.

karen lyons kalmenson