A Very Special Connection

October 18, 2012

Now an elderbull, this previously abused pit bull has found his soul mate

By Sarah Matthews

(photos by evoc photography)

In 2006, I went through a painful break-up and finally decided I was going to get a dog. I had always wanted a dog. Growing up, I was never allowed to have one because my mom is allergic, and she said she knew she’d end up taking care of the dog. She was probably right. So I started looking at different rescues and the SPCA for the dog I wanted. I knew I wanted a pit bull or American Staffordshire Terrier or a mixed breed.

I lived with an American Staffordshire Terrier a few years before and loved her. Of course, I discovered that there are a bunch of them available. I had no idea what a bad rap they had either. If I had heard any stories in the media, I must have ignored them. So I found brother and sister pit bull mixes named Tigger and Precious. I decided I wanted a girl dog so I took Precious for an adoption trial. It just didn’t work. So the foster mom asked if I would please try out Tigger because she really liked me and liked that I liked the breed. So I said, “OK, I’ll give Tigger a try,” thinking it wasn’t going to work and I’d be searching again for another dog.

Within two hours, I knew he was the dog for me. We just celebrated his sixth “Gotcha Day.” We have been through a lot together. He still makes me smile every day. He had a very rough start to life, and there are still many signs of that. He was chained up with a padlock for the first year of his life. He pulled so much on the chain that he damaged his vocal cords. His bark is not what you would expect out of a dog his size. He is afraid of certain noises, afraid of anything long and skinny, and for some reason is terrified when I use the toaster oven. He wasn’t fed regularly when he was with the bad people and was shoved into a crate with his sister when he was allowed inside. Lots of other things went on that I don’t know much about and don’t want to know much about. I have my ideas, though, based on his behavior. Luckily, he and his sister had a savior come along who rescued them, and then we found each other.

He worships the ground I walk on. I tell my mom and dad all the time that if something ever happens to me, I think he will die of a broken heart. Even though he has gotten older, he is still young at heart. I added a pit bull to our family last year named Simone. She is almost 2 and she keeps him young. They love to play together and chase each other. He got the name Tigger for a reason. He can jump straight up in the air. At one time he could jump 6 – 7 feet. He always has a smile on his face, and is the sweetest boy you will ever meet. He is an awesome ambassador for the breed and brings a smile to my face every day. He loves to give kisses and snuggle. He means the world to my pit bull, Simone, and me. I believe he is my soul mate.

« « Miracles Happen | Lacy » »

Comments

9 Responses to “A Very Special Connection”
  1. ReneeMKeller says:

What a loving, touching story.  Tigger is a handsome guy!!  Love that face!!!

2. barbaraleeanderson07090 says:

Wow, Sarah, he’s a beauty!!  You’re both so blessed to have found each other.  btw, I love the “Gotcha Day” idea.  What a great way to celebrate the day the two of you became one great team.

3. SusanLawrence says:

Sarah, you’ve got a great dog there! Rock on!

4. Pupperiffic says:

What a beautiful story.  I truly believe the “Gotcha Day,” too!  Funny to coin it as such.  I am not religious, but I do believe in a sort of karma, and it’s incredibly important for dogs to know love, regular feedings, shelter, and a feeling of belonging to a pack (whether that’s just the dog and the human or several dogs and a human) – and you have given Tigger that opportunity.  When he passes over the rainbow bridge, he will do so happily.  That is priceless.  As SusanLawrence said, Rock on!  🙂

5. Matt.S says:

It’s great that you gave Tigger a chance! Thanks for saving Tigger and giving him a real life.

6. LindaRobinson says:

I love my 3 boys, they all have a place they pick when I lay down to sleep, my baby baydon, I got him when he was about 18 teen days old, I was told he was 4 weeks old when i got him. I paid the money and took him home,thank God I new how to care for puppys,or he could have died. When I went to him,he coun,t eat. I took a real good look and new he was weened, so I had to act as a mother dog. Doing all the things that mom teach them to do befor 8 weeks of age. He has all ways slep at my head, then I got Bosley he was 2 years old,his whole back had no fur and was so infected, and I new I needed to help him. He is such a lover and very stuburn but a very good boy. He pick the the middle part of me to sleeps. Then I got an abused, boy that was about 2 years,Buddy he will lick you to death. and never wants to stop. His pick is down at my feet. and they all want to sleep with me. All my boys have their own way of communicating with each other and if you watch them you know just what it is they are saying. Then when they are talking to you, you will know what they want you to do. There is no amount of money or anything else, that could take my boys away from me. I am very strong in my pastion for the pitbulls. they are very to thair familys. They keep giving love even when abused. I have mico chip my boys so they will aways have a phone call to come home. I give my thanks to all the people that help in the making of Miracles for all animals that others give up on. thanks for your time

@LindaRobinson Sounds like you have three wonderful boys that are very loved and give lots of love in return. Thanks for sharing Linda.