Mabel, the Elderbull Who Saved Me

September 17, 2012

Throughout loss and sadness, one adopter finds comfort and love from her elderbull

By Heather Nieves

My beloved dog Jessie, a Sheltie/Chow mix, of 13 years was in hospice care, still enjoying life, but I knew our time on Earth together was almost over. I wanted to adopt another senior then since I didn’t know how I would do it when she passed, but had to find a low key dog to fit our lifestyle. I’m not quite sure how we even met, but somehow our stars crossed on Facebook, and I came upon Mabel’s page. I don’t know how and had searched through hundreds of adoptable dogs, but I knew Mabel was my girl.

I live in New Jersey, but Mabel was located in Roanoke, Va., then in foster care through Angels of Assisi. This was November of 2011. Mabel had been saved from the pound (her age and breed making it very unlikely for her to make it out alive) in January of the same year. So Thanksgiving weekend, it was trip time to go get my 10-year-old baby. Mabel was all the glorious elderbull I expected, and I’ll never forget after meeting her, walking away, turning around and seeing her watch me leave with her little crooked tail wagging. The next day we came home.

After the eight-hour ride back home, Mabel settled in quickly with Jessie, my Elderkitty and my birds with no problem at all, claiming the couch as her domain. I worried that I wouldn’t be able to love another dog as much as I loved my Jessie who had been through so much with me, including saving my life by fending off an attacker. But with Mabel, there was no choice. I had loved her even before I met her.

This year, I lost both my kitty several months ago, and then Jessie a few months ago. Without Mabel with her crooked tail and legs, big potbelly from being so over bred, her missing front tooth and her piggy grunts, I don’t know how I would have survived. She is always ready to plop her silly face in my lap, lean in for the best hugs and kisses, or just have some silly play time in her favorite spot, her couch!

And like I said before, I don’t know how I was so lucky to find this girl because along with her, I have also gained some wonderful human friends at Angels of Assisi who rescued and took care of her until we found each other. There is nothing more beautiful than so many people coming together to save a beautiful old soul.

With Jessie watching us from above, Mabel happily accepted her first foster sister, a New York City Animal Care and Control survivor Ruby, into our home. I know there will be more challenges ahead, but seeing Mabel’s happy smile reminds me every day that even in the darkest of times, there is someone there to rescue you.

Editor’s Note: Ruby was adopted a few weeks ago.

« « Promoting Adoptions Through Art | A Long Journey Home » »

Comments

16 Responses to “Mabel, the Elderbull Who Saved Me”
  1. Matt.S says:

What a touching story. Thank you for giving Mabel the chance to be who you needed to help you through your loss. “Their is nothing more beautiful than so many people coming together to save a beautiful old soul” Well said.

2. shortygrl27909 says:

i love hearing about people like her, the people who are willing to love the older dogs. We all know that people go looking for puppies. I really love this story

3. shortygrl27909 says:

4. barbaraleeanderson07090 says:

Great story, Heather.  My elderbull, Diva, and I are also in NJ.  Would love to meet your Mabel some time.

barbaraleeanderson07090 Barbara, Ingrid knows Heather and would love to have all of us get together. 🙂

5. This is the sweetest love letter.  Glad you and Mabel found each other. Enjoy all the happy times you have with Mabel because it looks like she’s enjoying life.

6. This is the sweetest love letter.  Glad you and Mabel found each other. Enjoy all the happy times you have with Mabel because it looks like she’s enjoying life.

7. DianaJones says:

I work with the elders in my community and value the experience and wisdom they have (many don’t, and this is their loss). I see this in elder animals as well. They have so much to offer and give freely. I am so very happy you found each other at exactly the right time! Love her grey muzzle, perfect for smooching!!

8. RianBriest says:

What a beautiful reading! You know, we rescue animals in order to save a life.. in essence, a rescue animal seems to save ours 🙂 Much love from Minnesota!

9. RianBriest says:

What a beautiful reading! You know, many people rescue animals in order to save a life.. in reality, it seems a rescued animal seems to save ours 🙂 Much love from Minnesota!

10. Matt.S says:

RianBriest – I’m in Minnesota also! A rescue I’m with is calling all pit bull people in Minnesota. My email is on my livefyre profile. Contact me!

11. Pupperiffic says:

Speaking of elderbulls…..does anyone’s elderbull need a huge, unopened bag of C/D (bladder health) kibble?  I am happy to ship it to wherever if it would be helpful to someone…..thanks!!

12. edward666 says:

thank you for that lovely story,if there were a lot more people in the worldlike yourself the animals in this world would no its not all doom and gloom,we will be adopted by an angel like yourself,jgf,uk