Elsie the Artist

September 25, 2012

Despite surviving abandonment and breast cancer, Elsie expresses nothing but joy in her singular pit bull art

By Tanya Turgeon, first posted on Dec. 5, 2011 and updated on Sept. 25, 2012

Elsie’s story began in a way that is, sadly, not unfamiliar for many pit bulls in New York City. In 2006, she was picked up off the streets by Animal Care and Control in Manhattan, where she quickly became the staff favorite, but also ended up on the euthanasia list as so many of pit bull type dogs do. Thankfully, they reached out on Elsie’s behalf and were able to find her a foster home before she found her forever home a few weeks later with me.

Elsie’s “mug shot” is the only clue to her first few years of her life. When they picked her up, she had obviously just given birth to a litter of puppies. Where she had them or where they ended up we’ll never know. Elsie was most likely used as a breeder dog and then simply discarded, an all too common practice.

A rough beginning has turned into a love affair. Elsie and I are best friends, roommates, couch coddlers, bed buddies, walking partners and so much more. This made it all the more devastating when in 2009, after only three years together, Elsie had a tumor removed that turned out to be breast cancer. Research has revealed that simply spaying female dogs before their first heat can prevent breast cancer completely.

Thankfully, we caught it early and a partial mastectomy has kept Elsie cancer free. In 2010, Elsie ended up with aural hematomas in both ears, and in 2011 she was diagnosed with a leiomyoma at the base of her tail – a kind of benign tumor. Although Elsie has been spirited through all of her six surgeries over the last three years, I did not fair so well. Each surgery was a brutal reminder of her mortality, and as I found myself pulled towards depression, I realized what we needed was a project, something unique to do together. It had to be something positive and fun, something that maybe we could even share with others.

With a bit of paint, a few treats and some dog shampoo standing nearby, Elsie and I decided to create art – but not just any art. We use pink paint (dog-safe, of course) to represent her breast cancer survival. Elsie uses her paws, her tail and whatever else she can get on the canvas to leave her mark as a pit bull that is so happy that she wants to share the love with everyone.

With the help of fellow pit bull lover, Leila Nelson, Elsie’s art has blossomed into a full-fledged website, Something Elsie, featuring Elsie’s art and other fun things she does as a cute, friendly and well-respected member of the community. Elsie puts a smile on the face of every single person she meets – and she meets a lot! She loves stuffed animals, sitting on laps or feet, and despite what people did to her early in her life, what she loves most is making every person feel like they are the most special person in the world. Elsie is an exquisite example of a pit bull’s strength of character marked by the ability to forgive.

Update by Tanya:

Thanks to our first appearance on StubbyDog, Elsie’s artwork has made its way to 10 different states and even across the sea to Germany! We’ve been able to make regular donations from a portion of the proceeds to the Humane Society of NY (whose amazing medical team has taken such good care of Elsie all these years at an affordable cost) and plan to also contribute to the rescue groups working tirelessly to save the lives of pit bulls from Manhattan Animal Care and Control, where Elsie originally came from and where I started volunteering this summer.

Elsie has acquired her own Facebook fan page where she features her new art, silly pictures of herself, and updates on her life, including surgery number seven which happened in March and resulted in the loss of a toe. But all is well and Elsie simply celebrated her three-toed foot with some new paintings showing off her now very unique paw print.

At 10 years old, Elsie’s hearing is a bit wonky, her naps are longer, her walks shorter, and her face whiter, but her zest for life and love for every person she meets is still going strong. Through her art she continues to promote the message that every dog deserves a warm and loving home and should never be judged by breed or appearance but by their spirit.

« « The Fabulous Che’ | I Miss You » »

Comments

21 Responses to “Elsie the Artist”
  1. Ettel says:

She looks so much like my Emma, and with an almost identical story. So wonderful to hear what you’re doing!

2. KVCowley says:

How do I get a hold of Elsie and her mom? I d like to purchase her art and tried to email Elsies owner through Elsie’s actual homepage.

Can anybody help?

• Elsie says:

@KVCowl Hi KVCowl, Elsie’s owner here. Did the email not work or bounce back? I recently changed the contact address to [email protected]. Feel free to email me at that address and I’ll look into making sure it works on the site. Thanks for posting here!

• KVCowl says:

@Elsie Hi Elsie’s mom! That’s the email address I emailed you at on Dec 13. Nothing was returned to me! I would love to purchase a painting from Elsie but wasn’t sure if you could ship to a military APO address since my hubby, pitty girl Shady and I are currently stationed in Germany! Happy holidays and please email me at [email protected] Thank you do much! 🙂

3. larshine says:

Hi Tanya and Elsie – great update! As a proud owner of some of Elsie’s original art, I tell everyone who sees it how amazing she is. They are all impressed, as they should be, at not only her talent, but her heart and her soul. 🙂

4. barbaraleeanderson07090 says:

I love it, I love it, I love it!!!!

5. ReneeMKeller says:

Elsie is beautiful and so is her artwork!!!  Bless you both!!!

6. ReneeMKeller says:

Elsie is beautiful and so is her artwork.  Bless you both!!!

7. Matt.S says:

What a neat story! Elsie and you have been through alot together. You have such a special bond. Thank you for sharing your love for each other through Elsie’s art! The world needs the joy in her art.

@Matt.S And her art brings lots of joy to everyone, thanks Matt.

• Elsie says:

@Matt.S Thank you for the kind words, which are very accurate…the art truly is a celebration of our love but also how Elsie has inspired me so much. We truly hope our positive take on some tough experiences can make people smile and see a recued pittie for the wonderful dog she is. 🙂

8. Arleen J Rutten says:

…”dog” bless Elsie ♥…and her beautiful tenacious heart…and all who love this very special “pibble”…include me in that group…in my heart always, Elsie ♥…

@Arleen J Rutten We are in that group too Arleen, she’s a special girl for sure.

• Elsie says:

@Arleen J Rutten Awww, thanks. Elsie hopes to touch the hearts of many and her future projects hope to make the world a more welcome place for shelter dogs and pitties.

9. Elsie says:

@larshine Awww, thanks for the support! And for helping Elsie reach her goal of touching as many people as possible…she loves to be loved!

10. Elsie says:

@barbaraleeanderson07090 Elsie’s tail says “Wag, wag, wag” to this 🙂 She loves you too. She doesn’t know you but she loves you anyway 🙂

11. Elsie says:

@Dhara Mistry received!

12. I really appreciate content, which might be of very useful for newbies in composing a blog as I am. Amazing item of details Appreciating the persistence you put into your website and details you offer!