Pinky’s Homecoming

August 30, 2012

A shelter volunteer risks losing her home for a pit bull who needs her

By Esther Shpak

I found my own “stubby dog,” Pinky, about five years ago at the Santa Monica Animal Shelter, where I was volunteering with my boyfriend. She was in rough shape and was underweight, dirty, had a poorly cropped tail and ears, and strange burns, but she was still sweet as pie and had a ton of energy. I never had a pit bull before and never thought twice about them until I met her. The shelter named her Pinky because she was pure white with a big, pink nose. We would come in every weekend for a year to work with her.

Unfortunately, we weren’t allowed to have animals in our apartment, so we couldn’t keep her ourselves. She was even adopted a couple times and brought back for various reasons.

Pinky was the favorite of the shelter. Every time she came back from her walk she knew to stop by the front desk and collect her treat. But she couldn’t live there forever, and after a year the shelter had to find a place for her. A rehabilitation trainer agreed to take her, and she moved in with him. That was the last we saw of her. We were so heartbroken that we even stopped going to the shelter.

Six months later I received a call from the shelter asking if we were still interested in Pinky. The trainer who took her unfortunately lost his facility and needed to place his most promising dogs quickly. We weren’t going to lose her again, so we agreed to take her despite still living in an apartment that didn’t allow dogs.

We snuck her in and out of our apartment twice a day for six months. One of us would stand watch while the other would run out the back door with her. After our lease was up we moved to a new apartment that allowed dogs.

My boyfriend and I broke up since then, but we are still friends. Pinky is now our joint-custody dog. She went from having no home, to having two, and she is loved in both.

« « The Impacts of Inconsistent Pet Restrictions on Base | Former Vick Dog Wins Gund Stuffed Animal Contest » »

Comments

25 Responses to “Pinky’s Homecoming”
  1. laurieburton says:

I’m glad you and your ex were mature enough to have joint custody…that is rarely the case. It’s nice to see when people put their dogs first! Way to go 🙂

2. PerfectlyFlawedOne says:

What a gorgeous smile she has! And Kudos for both of you keeping your promise to be loving responsible dog owners!

3. GracesMama says:

Awww!The big pink nose’ll get ya every time.It sure got me:)I also have a joint-custody thing with my best friend.He had to have his beloved chihuahua put down 4 months ago and I thought spending time with Grace would help him heal.It was a good move on my part considering that she loved him too from the first meeting.

GracesMama It’s so nice when people can put aside any differences for the benefit of the dog. Yay!

4. adoremydogs says:

Pinky’s destiny!   This lucky girl was destined to be with you two.  Amazing…she ended up in the shelter you volunteered at, she was adopted more than once and brought back to the same shelter each time, which is amazing in itself, and yet again after the trainer lost his place, you broke leasing rules for months, then when you and your boyfriend split you remained friends so she continues to receive love from both of you.  Awesome story and great pitty smile in that last picture!

5. barbaraleeanderson07090 says:

Beautiful story of love and commitment, Esther.  Apartments come and go, but the love that Pinky brings to your lives is priceless.

6. DianaJones says:

One of the best smiles I have ever seen!

7. AnnVanderlaan says:

The bestest smile :)>

8. LilisNotes says:

I admire you for taking a chance; I would do it too = )Love her smile!

9. NanetteValencia says:

Sweet girl ~ my heart goes out to all the animals that have such a hard time finding a home

10. Sheiv001 says:

That’s the way truly unconditional is! They would do anything for us! I would do exactly what I you guys did. Glad you &you your previous boyfriend worked out puppy visitation! There are a lot.of human parents that could learn a lesson from youa guys! The pups &I kids are the ones that suffer when they.don’t!! I think you guys are awesome!

11. NikkiKeating says:

Thank you for saving this beautiful pup!

12. KimClark1 says:

This is a great story.

13. Judithg says:

What a doll face she is!

14. OMG the last picture is the best ahahahahaha

15. Matt.S says:

Pinky”s smile made my day! Thanks!

16. Shadow Rhelm says:

What a beautiful girl and a beautiful heart you have. Thank you for doing this for her. I am so please to have read this story and seen her beautiful smile.

17. Shadow Rhelm says: