The Fabulous Gracie

July 11, 2012

A family fosters a starved pit bull, then buys a new home so that they can keep her

By Kerry Powell

In August 2011, a plea went out on Facebook for a beautiful pit bull who had one hour until she was to be euthanized. Animal control responded to a dead dog on the side of the road … but she wasn’t dead – just severely starved and neglected. I’d never fostered before, much less been around a pit bull. Her picture broke my heart. I couldn’t breathe – tears were beginning to start. I quickly forwarded her picture to my husband, who responded back with “OK, let’s get her.”

The fabulous rescue, Treat ‘Em Right Rescue, contacted me and then pulled her from the shelter. They named her Gracie. She weighed 31 pounds upon pulling her. She couldn’t stand on her own and had to be carried outside to potty. Gracie was very quiet, absorbing her new life, which was now full of food, love and warmth.

We lived in a complex that threw a fit about us adding a third dog to the mix. Gracie left us and was fostered by another family who helped her blossom into a loving girl. I knew she was meant to be with us. We bought a house with a big yard, just for her. In November, we made it official. We adopted her and never looked back. She’s the sweetest, silliest, zoomies extraordinaire that there is. She has two Dachshund sisters who boss her around, despite her weighing 75 pounds! She’s made our family complete.

« « Better to Have Loved | 12 Reasons to Oppose Breed-Discriminatory Legislation » »

Comments

20 Responses to “The Fabulous Gracie”
  1. The difference in the first photo and the last photo is breathtaking. Thank you so much for what you did to save Gracie — I hope she’s happy with her two Dachshund sisters! I have a Dachshund myself. 🙂

annedreshfield Isn’t her transformation just amazing? She looks so very happy with her Doxie sisters!

2. JillianChristine says:

Even knowing she is in such a great place now I sill teared up at that first picture. I love happy endings!

3. NikkiKeating says:

What a great lady to reach out and help a suffering animal. Just a great story!

4. kpowell says:

I’m so happy you guys shared her story! She really is an amazing example of the breed & the awesome work that rescue organizations do. She lets the littlest Dachshund groom her & cuddle with her. Gracie still amazes us with her little quirks and things that she learns everyday. We are honored to have adopted her & fully support the bully breed!

kpowell Thanks for sharing Kerry, your story is inspiring and Gracie is an amazing example of not only pit bulls, but of how much can be done when everyone works together for the well being of the dogs.

5. luvsdogz says:

My daughter and son-in-law fostered and adopted Gracie.  The transformation has been unbelievable. I am so proud of them for taking her in and for giving her a loving home.  She will never be hungry, lonely or unloved again.  Thanks for telling her story.  Thank-you Kerry and Kevin, you not only talk the talk but you walk the walk.

6. Graceie is FABULOUS!

7. MonikaHoch says:

She is BEAUTIFUL!!! YAY Gracie!!!! 🙂

8. ReneeMKeller says:

Wow the before and after pictures are amazing.  Im so glad you found each other!!!  You sure turned this little girls life around.  Thank you!!!

9. SusanRodriguezArmstrong says:

I cried seeing her “before” picture, and cried again at her “after”… Thank you for being her savior, the world is a better place because of kind hearts like yours <3

10. Matt.S says:

Thank you for saving this precious life! “Before” pictures hurt to look at, but “after” pictures like Gracie’s bring a smile inside & out!

11. Nancy K says:

I SO love happy endings!!!  <3

12. DeborahSlusher says:

I laughed and cried, oh joy for all – God Bless you!  I want to use this for my facebook page, hope it’s Ok  Love this.