Finding a Foster

July 10, 2012

A chance encounter with a homeless woman and homeless puppy leads to a new fostering adventure

By Tara Lynn

Meet Lily! This picture of her on the bench shows how I found her. I was working downtown and near the end of my shift, at 8 a.m., I saw her out of the corner of my eye fast asleep on this bench. I could not go see her close up.

A homeless woman said the puppy just started following her that morning. She had to go catch the bus for an appointment and was going to have to just leave the puppy. I immediately called the SPCA of Wake County. They were going to help me find a place for her. There’s no way she could continue to roam the streets of downtown Raleigh. So I called a friend who raced downtown with a towel and little clue as to what he was actually doing! He picked me and the pup up (I couldn’t take her in the work truck!) and headed to my apartment to get a crate.

I put her down to try to potty, and she just sat right where I put her and looked at me. O-M-G! She is just out-of-this-world adorable, so naturally I ran to get my camera, and she had her first photo shoot!

I was trying to find the perfect girly name for her. Lilies are my favorite flower, so I decided her name would be Lily. I dropped her off at the SPCA so that they could check her out and get her in the system. I told them I would like to foster her if at all possible, and by 5:30 p.m. she was back in my car headed to the apartment.

I’ve set her up in the kitchen for now. She got a bath, had a play date with another little puppy and had a good meal. My dog Baxter is trying to figure out what in the world is going on. He’s a little stressed and jealous for sure. But we think this could be the best thing for him. He needs to learn to share his space. So … here she is … Lily!

About the author: Tara is a photographer who blogs about her experiences at inbetweentheblinks.com/blog.

« « Jasmine’s Comeback | Always Room for One More » »

Comments

15 Responses to “Finding a Foster”
  1. AmandaFitzgerald says:

Thats awesome that you saw this dog and DID something!!!!! Kudos to you

2. MaryJennings2 says:

I’d take that pup in an instant…and I surely do not need another dog..lol

3. KristofferLand says:

Awesome.  Tara is local and gives me hope in POSITIVE breed reporting!

4. chirsch4 says:

She is just adorable.  I wouldn’t have been able to walk away from her either.  As always, I wish we could have another, but we cannot.  You are a really wonderful person for immediately deciding to foster her.

5. Oh my gosh, I have no idea how anyone could walk by that face! She is beyond adorable. Thank you for saving her.

6. NikkiKeating says:

Thank you for taking the time to save such a cute little baby!

7. Lilly is the cutest thing in the world (next to my babies of course).  What a huge heart you have, all Lily wanted was love! Yay Baxter for lessons of sharing 101

theprettychic Thanks Kelli, it’s wonderful how Tara not only saved this baby, but fostering her and using it as a teaching lesson for Baxter, incredible! She only sees the positive and we applaud that!

8. ReneeMKeller says:

Lilly is SO cute!!!  Thank you for helping her.  I hope she finds a wonderful home.  That will be one lucky family!!!

ReneeMKeller It sure will be a lucky family Renee, Lily is so cute and Tara will teach her all the ropes.

9. MelissaAnnBrown says:

It is so great to see people who are doing the right thing instead of just turning a blind eye on the situation. Tara seem a need and did the right thing. I’m sure both Lily and Baxter will enjoy each other soon!

10. Matt.S says:

Thank you for giving this adorable little girl a chance at a real life. Clearly, many people walked by sweet Lilly and chose to ignore her, where you chose change the world of this forgotten soul.