Marvelous Marvin

April 16, 2012

This adopted pit bull helps take care of his guardian when she suffers from symptoms due to multiple sclerosis

By Stacy Sanders

Marvin is a 3-year-old pit bull that was adopted from the SPCA for Monterey County in August of 2010. Marvin had been at the shelter for about six months before I took him home.
I worked at the SPCA as a humane investigator, and when I first started, Marvin was the dog that drew me to him. I knew it was only a matter of time before he became part of the family.

At first, Marvin seemed to just be a regular dog, doing all the regular dog things. He loved playing with other dogs, sleeping on the couch and destroying squeaky toys within 10 minutes of them entering our home. But in September of 2011, I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis (MS). Needless to say, I was heartbroken and saw much of my future slip away from me.

Getting used to dealing with the disease has been hard, as it is a degenerative neurological disease, of which there is no cure. I have found that my balance will go from time to time, and I have stumbled over my feet more times then I can count!

In October, I started to notice that a few days before I would have a relapse of MS, Marvin would refuse to leave my side. He followed me into the bathroom, watched over me while I took a shower and cried when I had to go to work in the mornings (my boyfriend said he would just sit by the front door, refusing even to go outside) until I came home.

During one of my “episodes,” I was taking Marvin for a walk on our property. We were walking down a dirt path when my legs completely gave out, and I collapsed onto the ground. While I was falling, Marvin managed to put himself between me and the ground. He allowed me to smash on top of him. I laid there for a moment, completely confused as to what had just occurred, and Marvin put his head under my arm and began pushing me back up to a sitting position. He then allowed me to use his back to hoist myself back upright. Now normally Marvin is not the best leash walker and pulls every chances he gets, but on the entire walk home, Marvin heeled right next to me, making sure he was touching me the whole time.

Marvin is an amazing pit bull, and now I have learned to read his signs to known when I am possibly going to be sick and have a relapse. He watches over me during my relapses and keeps himself close by my side whenever he feels that I am going to be unsafe. He truly is my guardian angel!

« « You Might Have a Pit Clown If … | Facebook Timeline Superstar Contest » »

Comments

14 Responses to “Marvelous Marvin”
  1. honeyremedy says:

How lovely :,)

2. Wonderful story, a pitties love is immeasurable, they continue to surprise with their gentleness 🙂

3. ValerieSherman says:

I love this story. I never trained my dog to alert me to my father either. She just sort of decided to. Thank you for sharing.

4. SandraMcCormack says:

Wow! This is a beautiful story! Thank you for sharing!

[email protected] You’re welcome Sandra, it was our pleasure, Marvin is truly marvelous!

5. bakercon says:

This would only be a surprise to someone who doesn’t know a Pit.  They are by far the most intuitive and caring breed.  Good save:-)

6. BeckyBibeyCaddell says:

[email protected] you for bringing this story to my attention! Stacy, Marvin is a wonderful boy and you are so lucky to have him! 🙂 I am one of the lucky ones as well. I adopted a pitiful looking, starved, abused, sick 3 month old pit puppy that had also been shot in one of her hind legs w/a pellet gun and had the beginning of an infection from it. I saw her intake picture on  a shelter website (that shelter is about an hour and 20 mins from me) on Dec. 16, 2011 and sent them a email letting them know that I would be there to pick her up on Monday afternoon, the second her 72 hour stray hold was up. I have MS as well as Sjogren’s Syndrome and some other kind or rheumatoid like thing going on that causes severe chronic fatigue. Angel does most of the same things Marvin does. She lays at the shower door while I shower…I’m not allowed to go to the bathroom at all with out her. She will tear the door up if I shut her out. I have to take her with me to the bus stop when I take the kids to wait for the bus in the mornings. She has learned how to open our sliding glass door…she even knows how to unlock it, so when I take my lab, Jasmine, out to potty, Angel comes flying out the door and right up on my heels.  She is right up in the bed w/me sleeping (and I sleep a lot during the day) or if I am on the pc she is at my feet or on the couch right beside me. I have noticed that if I am sleeping to soundly, she will jump on my chest and nudge my face, so I don’t know if I have some kind of apnea going on when I sleep like that or not. She also thinks she has to protect me from every dog that gets with in 20 ft. of me since I made the stupid mistake of getting too close to the face of a very nervous Blue Heeler. She even grabs Jasmines collar while growling and pulling her in another direction when I am fussing at her about getting into the trash or on the counters lol. I adore my Angel clown who is now 7 months old and usually wide open part of the night (running laps thru the house) because she spends all say sleeping with me! Hubby calls her Zoom Zoom!

7. dragondix2 says:

Marvin is a classic example of dogs & humans needing each other. You & Marvin are clearly meant for each other.

8. WillowWonderBull says:

What a wonderfull relationship you and Marvin have! You are both very special!

9. dragondix2 says:

Thank you for sharing your wonderful story! I’ve been telling people about it and encouraging them to  come to StubbyDog and see it for themselves.

[email protected] Thank you, thank you. We are chock full of stories like this, so we thank you for encouraging people to come to our site!!!!