Former Victim of Dog Fighting is Adopted

April 5, 2012

By Leslie Smith, as first posted on Dogtime

One of the dogs rescued from Michael Vick’s dog-fighting ring has been adopted from the Best Friends Animal Shelter in Utah. Little Red, a pit bull, now lives on six acres of fenced property in the Midwest with her new owner.

A woman named Susan adopted the dog in September of last year. She first saw the dog when she worked as a volunteer at the Best Friends shelter.

“I saw her every day for a week,” Susan said in the Best Friends newsletter. “It was just the most amazing thing.”

After fostering the dog for a six-month period – as per a court order – Susan finally signed the adoption papers and became Red’s legal owner on March 19. Despite initial hesitation to explore her new home, Red now confidently roams the expansive property and has become good friends with Susan’s four other dogs.

For more on information on Little Red, visit her Facebook page or watch the following video:

« « Johnny White | What’s in a Name? Part I » »

Comments

10 Responses to “Former Victim of Dog Fighting is Adopted”
  1. Love her sweater!

2. christielici0us says:

I’m so thankful to people like Susan (and Best Friends) who are changing the future of these sweet dogs. You’re proving that no matter what a Pit Bull has been through in her life, she can still be a great family dog. Let’s judge these babies by their NOW and not by their PAST.

xoxo,
    Chrissy

3. DebbieDebraPattonEvans says:

this is fantastic news! I can see she is loved and so happy! No animal should have gone through what she did in her past.( And to think the former owner [ I can’t even say his horrible name] wants a dog for his kids!!!!! )

4. JennyLoya says:

Congrats Little Red and her new mommie!!

5. rn4pitbulls says:

Totally crying right now! I have a special place in my heart for little red dogs..my sweet princess Bella is red. Thank God for awesome people!!

6. AndreaF says:

Ha! Another kick in the [email protected]# for Michael Vick!!!
    I am sooo happy for Little Red, congratulation on your new companion Susan! Here’s to many great years for you and Little Red 🙂

7. Little Red says:

Stubby Dog — Thank you so much for writing about Little Red!  We LOVE what you do and feel very privileged that you have written about our story.  Little is loving life and running and zooming every day now that Spring is here.  I can’t imagine my life without her and I think she feels the same way.  Her canine siblings have opened their hearts to her too.  We’re now a pack of 6.  Thank you so much for featuring her.  We send our best wishes, Susan and Little Red

@Little Red Thank you Susan for giving Little Red such a wonderful, loving home. We would love for you to write the story from your perspective, if you are interested. She’s come such a long way in the time you’ve had her. If you’re interested, email your story to [email protected]. Thanks again, and kisses to Little from the StubbyDog gang!