Top 10 Reasons Why You Can’t Trust Pit Bulls

December 2, 2011

By Jason Mann of pitbulllovers.com

(Photos by Sleeps with Dogs)

10. They will steal your spot on the couch while you are up getting a soda.

9. They will take the treat you give them and bury in the backyard like a paranoid crack head hiding their stash.

8. They will jump on your bed with muddy feet. Making you do laundry…again.

7. They will lick visitors with an uncontrolled passion only they understand.

6. They will cause children to smile.

5. They will make you feel horrible for not walking them by looking at you with deep sad eyes.

4. They will look at you like you committed a crime against them if you don’t let them lick your ice cream bowl.

3. They will cause wide spread happiness in large group settings.

2. They will crack you up by shaking their butts so hard you think they are going to snap in half.

And the number one reason why you can’t trust pit bulls

1. They will steal your heart like a thief in the night, showing you complete and pure love that only a pit bull can show.

« « Did You Adopt Your Pet During the Holidays? | Dear Enzo » »

Comments

193 Responses to “Top 10 Reasons Why You Can’t Trust Pit Bulls”
  1. awill456 says:

You must have just bought that toy she is posing with…lol. There is no way a stuffy will stay in tact in my house! Mine looks at us like we committed a crime if there is not a toy somewhere in all the bags of groceries we bring in.

2. KellyLynne says:

11. By being warm and snuggly, they’ll con you into staying in bed longer than you should.

12. Whenever you’re eating, they look at you with big sad eyes, accusing you of starving them–never mind that they just polished off not only their dinner, but the cat’s food, and anything you may have foolishly left on the counter.

13. They will climb into your lap and look at you adoringly, as part of a clever plot to trap you under 50-70 pounds of dog so that you’re forced to rub their ears and scritch their backs for at least the next hour.

3. For all the reasons and more you hav listed above are the reasons I love my pitties! Sasha when they came to do the home visit literally bullied her way through the door, took over the house and bullied her way into our hearts. January will be a year we’ve had her and each day I love her more and more. Krush is a cuddle bug and a typical male. He does something wrong he gives those eyes and plops on you and showers you with love. They are truly BULLIES in every sense of the word(in a good way)

4. PamilaSchwartz says:

BabySnaps is GULITY GUILTY GUILTY of all of the above… I would NEVER have any other dog…. I am on my 3rd Pittie (RIP Rosebud and Raynedog)…….BabySnaps is now 20 months old and I think she is growing up to be all of the above!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love U BabyS

5. meteor says:

Cyoooot!

6. woodward.betty says:

My pup does all those things- I thought she was the only one that ran away w/ her treats like a crack addict. Also- this pup looks EXACTLY like my girl. I thought you stole her for this photo shoot. Now I can say that I was wrong and there is another puppy girl as adorable as my own. πŸ™‚

7. AmylynneBerryBlake says:

I love this!!!

8. PaulG says:

@ the stat above about border collies. A border collier won’t rip your arm off if u make it mad.

• evemariew says:

@PaulG Hi Paul! What you are saying is based upon a vast stereotype, that is propagated by quite a bit of myth. Any large breed of dog is capable of certain bite-related damage … even a border collie. There is a very intricate mix of unfortunate abuse and mistreatment, combined with media hype, that lead to so many stories hitting the shelves and headlines about pit bulls committing acts of violence. There is always, however, “more to the story”. One of the reasons pit bulls are targeted for such abuse to begin with, is their loyal/forgiving nature with humans … that is what the temperament test statistics reflect. Sure, a bite from a large dog is more threatening than from a smaller dog, but please be mindful not to perpetuate a false stereotype. Saying that pit bulls are likely to rip off someone’s arm, is the same as saying that all Mormons are polygamists … it’s a stereotype bred from ignorance and fueled by misinformation. Thank you for being open minded and giving consideration to what I am telling you …

• RonFox says:

@PaulG Any Collie could rip your arm off it’s its large enough, like any other full-size breed you jack ass. I’ve seen a Lab rip the throat out of a poor boxer puppy. Has NOTHING to do with breed. Just people like you.

• JennaLeangus says:

@[email protected] It has everything to do with the breed. I speak from experience.

• Sheryl C says:

@JennaLeangus @RonFox @PaulG Jenna and Paul.. You both are freaking morons. You saying pit bulls are dangerous just because they’re pit bulls and you may or may not have had a bad experience with ONE MEMBER of the breed. That’s about as bad as saying that you hate blacks, whites, asians, indians or hispanics because maybe you’ve had a bad experience with someone of those races.. But that’s racism and you talking down on a breed is just as bad. I’ve been attacked by a golden retriever, saint bernard, chihuahua and rott mix but I don’t hate or discriminate against those breeds because I know that it’s not the breed… It’s the owner. All dogs who are mistreated can and most likely will attack someone if they aren’t being cared for properly. Do the world a favor and go educate yourselves and read a book or two on the breed. But don’t bring your poorly constructed arguments to a bunch of pit bull lovers and expect us not to stand up for our puppies who are raised by people who love them and wouldn’t hurt a soul.

• evemariew says:

@[email protected]@PaulG Jenna – I just wanted to say how sorry I am for what happened to you, and to your dog … what a heartbreaking tragedy. No judgment, as if I were in your shoes, I might very well feel the same way. But what I do want to encourage you, is to understand the responsibility that I, as someone who is a Director of a pit bull rescue, take very seriously – and it goes beyond finding loving homes for pit bulls. It very much includes education of the public, not just about the breed, but about how to be responsible pet guardians.

• evemariew says:

@[email protected]@PaulG A lot of the tragedies that occur, that you hear about in the popular media (unfortunately, the media seizes stories quickly that involve pit bulls, but that is a subject for another time) do have “more to the story”. This does not in any way minimize what happened to you, not at all. What I will encourage you, and others, to consider, is simply this … are there instances of violence with pit bulls? YES. Are pit bulls the current targets of poor treatment, mismanagement, and abuse? YES.

• evemariew says:

@[email protected]@PaulG It’s an undeniable common denominator – the correlation is a story unto itself – and what it tells us, no matter how you slice it, is that humans bear the responsibility. And, we also bear the ability (responsibility?) to change things. If Labrador Retrievers were the targets of both the ill-intentioned as well as the media, we’d be hearing about stories of the same ilk having to do with their breed. It’s a social crisis, that is far from simple to understand, and not easy to remedy.

• evemariew says:

@[email protected]@PaulG But, one that I am very dedicated to working to correct – and part of that correction includes teaching humans about the importance of responsible pet ownership. For you, in the wake of such a horrible experience, i will only hope to encourage you to embrace some of these ideas, and not be thwarted from doing the good work that you are doing – working in shelters and fostering animals. Thanks for listening to what I have to say …

• evemariew says:

@[email protected]@PaulG (sorry, had to do my reply in multiple posts, because of character limits)

• NicoleBandes says:

@PaulG That’s like saying a Glock will kill a person but a S&W won’t. It has nothing to do with the tool, it has everything to do with the person using the tool.

• kimtonks says:

@PaulG

Oh PaulG your ignorance is showing!

• JenniferMyers says:

Lmao any dog at 60 lbs an up can do that if you get it mad enough. DUH if a dog is trained to be violent or ill tempered it will be. Belle if she gets mad she huffs and walks away. Ignorance is bliss and most of the time a dogs bark is worse than its bite. i’ll post as many links as it takes to for you to realize your comment was down right stupid. http://www.bordercollierescue.org/news/Content/Dangerous.html read the bold black print.www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/breeds/bordercollies.htmli can keep going if you need more. Think before you post. @PaulG

• LadyJay says:

@PaulG Just shows your arrogance.

• LadyJay says:

@PaulG Just shows your ignorance.Any animal can be violent,not just pitts.I had half my face ripped off by a german shepherd but I dont hold the whole breed at fault.I also rescued different breeds from dog fighters and let me tell you…even tho they were beaten and abused ALL of them had huge hearts of gold,including the pitbulls that were used as bait.

• @PaulG While walking my pitties a dauchshund jumped out of the bushes and attempted to attack one of my pitties. My dog was a leash and remained calmed. We didn’t see the owners anywhere. If my dog was ill tempered as you’ve mentioned in your post things could’ve gotten ugly real quick. When we finally saw the owners they said nothing while they’re mut continued to harrass my dog. What’s the morale of the story it’s NOT the dog it’s the owner. Please stop spreading ignorants.

• ChrisRutledge says:

@PaulG ONLY A DUMB ASS IDIOT MAKES A DOG AGRESSIVE PEOPLE LIKE YOU SHOULD BE CASRATED AT BIRTH

@[email protected] We understand that pit bull lovers can get defensive when certain blanket comments are made, but please refrain from name calling as this does not help the cause to change public perceptions of pit bulls. Thanks everyone.

• erinomisty says:

I’ve worked as a vet tech and managed a no kill shelter and any dog can be dangerous as a matter of fact the only dog that we would not adopt was a border collie that was to dangerous but sadly it wasn’t her fault the fault fell with the previous owner……people can screw anything up even innocent dogs and children how sad it is….I hope we learn from our mistakes @PaulG

• Mrsbrad04 says:

@PaulG
      Maybe not a border collie but a Rottweiler and German shepherd would since both of those dogs apply more pounds per pressure than a pit bull bite. You and jennajeague are quite silly really. Perhaps you should go find another forum to discuss something that you actually have a clue about. Funny part about all of this is I don’t own a pit bull. I own a German shepherd, 3 mixed breeds a Boston terrier and a Maltese. A stray pit bull showed up at my house and was the biggest lover ever. We brought her into the house, had her around the horses and never had a problem! I cant let my gsd around the horses because he tries to bite them! We were able to find her owner and with a broken heart I had to give her back! I would have kept her forever. Judge the dog not the breed

9. JenniferMyers says:

you missed the part about crawling under the covers head first turning around coming back up putting the head on the pillow and pushing into the wall to snuggle and and basically donkey kicking you until you put your arm around the to cuddle . because belle does that…a lot. as for stealing a spot on the couch, belle has her OWN spot with a sheet and her own blanket we cover her with. but i think theres a word for this.. oh yeah.. spoiled!

10. LadyJay says:

this is beautiful and true.Lets not forget the part where the crawl into bed and put their cold nose on you til they warm up then push you out the bed.lol.

11. Lamont says:

Not only do I love this post . I have seen so many abused , mistreated pits be rehabilitated and become a better , more loyal loving companion than some of the foster owners had ever seen . I have 2 Pits of my own now and I foster 2 more …the most loyal loving animals.

12. LeeMadison says:

at the summit of all canine breeds is the pit bull pound for pound the strongest and toughest dog in the world that possess almost human like emotions and have a deep desire in their hearts to do whatever it is you want them to do (this has also got them in to trouble because they are the best at everything they do) but these tough and extremely lovable animals are really amazing physically emotionally and all around if there lived a pit bull in every home there would never be any home invasions or burglary’s I LOVE THIS BREED

• KellyLynne says:

@LeeMadison While pit bulls are every bit as awesome as you said, I’m pretty sure that if Reba (our pit bull foster dog) ever stops a burglary, it will only be because the robbers are too busy having their faces licked to steal anything. Then again, when she jumps on them, that might just be enough to scare them off.

13. LeeMadison says:

BY THE WAY ONCE WHEN I WAS WALKING MY DOG ON A LEASH AN UNRESTRAINED BORDER COLLIE JUMPED THE FENCE RAN DOWN THE ROAD AND ATTACKED HIM OBVIOUSLY NOT REALIZING HIS MISTAKE UNTIL I CONVINCED MY DOG TO LET HIM GO THE OWNER APOLOGIZED BECAUSE HIS DOG WAS LOOSE AND SAID HE WAS OK WHEN I WENT TO TALK WITH THE OWNER ABOUT THE INCIDENT THE MORAL OF THIS STORY IS THAT DOGS WILL BEHAVE LIKE DOGS NO MATTER WHAT BREED SIZE OR SHAPE IF YOUR GOING TO BE A DOG OWNER EDUCATE YOURSELF ITS THE BEST THING ANY OF US CAN DO

• cschanz says:

Amen to that! People forget that dogs aren’t going to act like people!

• VirginiaToledo says:

so true…many breeds are or can be mean….our babies are just used as an example when in fact I know smaller dogs are quicker to bite…had quite a few confrontations with small dogs and the owner would scream…my Pit would just ignore the dog and I

would say hey control your dog…my dog just looks at the small dog as ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!

14. WeyrCat says:

These things are currently all true about my Lab, and were all true about my Sasha Wigglebutt when I was growing up. We used to tell people (who thought Pits were dangerous) that the ‘Most dangerous thing about her is her tail; she’ll bruise your knees when she says Hello!”

/miss my Sasha.

15. cschanz says:

I fostered a Pit and she was THE sweetest dog…the biggest hangup? She thought she was a lap dog! I still miss that sweet girl

16. ChrisRutledge says:

IVE OWNED OVER TWENTY PITBULLS IN MY LIKE. AND NONE OF THEM HAVE EVER BEEN AGRESSIVE TOWARDS MY KIDS. THEY ARE THE MOST LOYAL BREED TO HAVE WITH SMALL KIDS , THE OWNERS TRAIN THEM RIGHT AN THEY WILL GIVE THEIR LIVES TO PROTECT THEIR FAMILY

17. JonC says:

I love my pit bull. I swear he looks just like the ones in this article. He is the biggest ham and just LOVES when new people come over. πŸ™‚ He is such an awesome dog!

18. erinomisty says:

I’ve had my best friend for 13 years and they forgot one that our friends get old to soon and at some point we are going to have to say good by way sooner then we are ready to……. I love u Misty

19. DanWeiss says:

Great writeup! Any idea who’s Pit this is? Only reason I ask, I have a 3 yr old female that looks IDENTIAL to this dog, down to the spots and all… kinda scary how alike they look.

20. VirginiaToledo says:

All of the above are so correct…but would not give it up or trade it for another breed…I love my baby too much…I need him in my life…..

21. MildredVazquez says:

i have a mix pit and she is the sweetest girl around. Lets stand up for them. aggression is in the hand that handle that leash which is a chain

22. PattyDuval says:

so very true My American Pit Bull does the same thing everytime and he steals the blankets on my bed at night

23. BobDolan says:

God I’m glad my pekenese doesn’t way forty pounds.

24. MelissaHarawayGreene says:

This is so true! Except for burying the treat…my pitties don’t have a treat long enough to bury it!! lol

25. RachaelH says:

its true.. (: I had a pit mix sleep over for a night cos im trying to find him a home and i sleep with my little dog so the pittie jumped in bed with my dog when I walked out of the room.. when i came back he was next to my little dog in my spot. he stole my bed, my heart, and my dog! xD such little thieves πŸ˜‰ I love pitties so much <3

26. secoleman says:

I love my Pit Little Sis and she loves me…..

27. TrinaAlderson says:

Tehe!! I LOVE MY “WITTY” PITTIES!! I haven’t owned a PitBull (simply financial reasons ONLY) BUT I HAVE taken care of a LOT of them and the ONLY downfall I can say I’ve experienced not only with the Pit breed but with other medium to large breed dogs……DON’T BE ANYWHERE NEAR THEM!!!! uh……UM… WHEN THEY DECIDE TO LET ONE RIP!!!!!! PEEEWWWWW!!!!!!!!! (as I pinch my nose to prevent myself from smelling their farts!!!!) Oh shyt!! I can’tbreath!! gotta let go of the nose!!! (letting go of my nose…)….PHWHEEEEEEW…… *COUGH COUGH!!! HACK HACK!!* DAYUM! STILL STINKS IN HERE!! (as I’m waving my hands in front of my nose as to attempt to dissapate the scent..) (humming randomly….looking for the air freshener can….)…..FOUND IT!! (generously spraying avoiding as much as possible cainine contact..) DEEEEEEEEP BREATH IN THRU THE NOSE…….aaahhhh MUCH BETTER!….breathe out thru your mouth……..Repeat till appropriate level of satisfaction attained! Yep!! LOVE MY “WITTY” PITTIES!!! PEACE!! πŸ™‚ <3

28. AngieLuciDaniels says:

This can be said of all dogs.. of course πŸ™‚ But having done rescue with pitbulls, they are some of the sweetest dogs known to man.

29. AngieLuciDaniels says:

(am currently owned by a cocker spaniel mix)

30. KoriTk says:

i recently purchased my first staffie pitbull … he is 10 weeks old and the runt of the litter … we chose him for that reason and he got named bruiser because 3 of the bigger puppies were attacking him and he beat them all up … he is defiant and fearless … but so full of love and energy … im looking forward to the next 15 years with him … we also have an 13yr old lab/collie mix … and the puppy ha bought new life to him …

• alli4569 says:

@KoriTk

i got my pit at ten weeks and she was also the runt, her name is jenna and sshe is my baby she is 19 months now and ill tell you she is the best dog i ever owned. she is always full of engery!!!!

31. JennaLeangus says:

The other reason is genetics and sometimes they snap for no reason at all. My neighbors pit bust through our privacy fence 2 weeks ago and ripped my dogs leg off and attacked me. I had to get rabies vaccines and all. Just glad my 6 yo son wasn’t playing in the backyard.

• JennaLeangus says:

bY the way my dog, we had to put him him down cause he was bleeding to death.

• MandeeO'Shea-illausky says:

@JennaLeangus Im sorry to hear abut you dog but any dog of ANY breed can snap for no reason at all. Pitbulls are not more likely to snap than any other breed, when you have scientific proof to back that up then and only then you can say things like that. Until then its just pure ignorance. Stop focusing on the breed and focus on the fact that dogs are animals, and animals are unpredictable. (spoken by someone who has been bitten by a golden retriever for no reason)

• JennaLeangus says:

@MandeeO’Shea-illausky I get it. You don’t like my opinion and that’s fine. I respect yours. I really don’t care if any of you like what I have to say. Have a nice day!

• Sheryl C says:

@JennaLeangus @MandeeO’Shea-illausky Obviously you have absolutely no respect because you’re coming onto a page that is clearly designed for pit bull lovers and talking down on the breed. I agree that the owners of the dog that attacked yours are terrible owners who probably mistreated it. But don’t blame an entire breed because your dog got hurt by one pit bull. I’m sorry for your loss, but you really need to do a little more research on pit bulls as a breed instead of generalizing them as killers. They only act a certain way because that’s how they’re raised, just like any dog.

• MandeeO'Shea-illausky says:

@Sheryl C @JennaLeangus Sheryl I’m not talking down any breeds I’m a PROUD owner of a rescued pit myself and they are my favorite breed. How was I talking the breed down? I wasn’t, the problem is too many people focus on breed alone rather than the fact that they are dogs and dogs are animals. Animals can be unpredictable breed has nothing to do with it. I would never bad mouth the breed Ben if I was bitten by one, why? Because that’s one dog. Like someone else said judging a breed by the actions of one dog is like judging and entire race of people by one persons actions and that is not my style lol.

• MandeeO'Shea-illausky says:

@sheryl Ok sorry i was on my phone and i see now that it wasnt directed at me lol nevermind (shoves foot in mouth) lol

• JennaLeangus says:

@Sheryl C yadda, yadda

• JennaLeangus says:

@Sheryl C again I respect your opinion.

• BrandiMoon says:

@JennaLeangus @Sheryl C. Yes, because ‘yadda yadda’ is just two words BURSTING with respect. Me thinks there be trolls here.

• BrandiMoon says:

@JennaLeangus @Sheryl C Ah yes. Because the words ‘yadda yadda’ are just BURSTING with respect for the opinion of others. Me thinks there be trolls here.

• BrandiMoon says:

@BrandiMoon okay, we’re just all going to have to live with the double post since it’s refusing to be deleted.

• Mrsbrad04 says:

@JennaLeangus
      Clearly your neighbor is not a good and responsible owner and it had nothing to do with the breed just snapping one day! If she was a good owner you wouldn’t have to get rabies shots. I’m sorry you had a bad experience with a dog, but don’t make a blanket statement about a breed you know nothing about. I can find vicious behavior in any breed if chained, unsocialized, neglected and not properly cared for. A dog bite that results in requiring a series of rabies shots is a dog not properly cared for!

• Staxx says:

Besides…Rabies isn’t “a” shot…it is a series of very painful shots and a hospital stay and generally a VERY long and torturous fight back to health. It isn’t like a vaccine that you get for the monring after pill. Also, they only administer the treatment series AFTER the animal has been tested for Rabies and found to be positive. I doubt VERY highly that you would be here typing on a forum 2 weeks after an attck had the dog had rabies and you were infected.

How do I know these things……Veterinary Assistance classes.Pits are known as the Nanny Breed becasue they were used as gurad dogs for chldren. It is because irresponsible and insecure humans use them as status symbols and do not raise them properly that they have the rep that they do now, in modern times.

Your claim, Jenna, that Pits are dangerous is true in a sense……every animal is to a degree, especially when not socialized properly and trained with love. You, my dear, are a member of the most dangerous species on this planet…..Human Beings!

• Staxx says:

ο»ΏCorrect! Rabies is a very painful, series of shots and a hospital stay. It is not a vaccine, a band-aid or the morning after pill for dog bites. And generally involves a long and torturous fight back to health and is ONLY administered AFTER the offending animal has been proven to have Rabies.

Opinions based on misinformation or concocted stories for attention-getting are the reason most people are jaded against things. Misinformation and ignorance is a disease in and of itself.

Tore your dogs leg off? Wow! I have 170 pound Mastiffs that couldn’t accomplish that very easily….this Pit must have been a MONSTER!

@JennaLeangus Jenna, we are very sorry to hear about your dog and the fact that you were badly injured. That is certainly a tragedy that should not have happened. However, we want to be careful not to continue to spread myths about pit bulls or dogs in general. Dogs do not “suddenly snap.” When a dog bites, you can always look to mismanagement and irresponsibility on the part of that dog’s guardian. Please take a look at our “Checklist for a Dangerous Dog,” which details this information (http://stubbydog.org/2011/08/checklist-for-a-dangerous-dog/). Here are two more articles talking about facts and myths in regards to pit bull type dogs: http://stubbydog.org/2011/01/pit-bull-facts/ and http://www.badrap.org/monster-myths. Lastly, here’s a quote from Pit Bull Rescue Central: “Traits like human aggression … and instability are not typically found in the breed”; read the full article here – http://www.pbrc.net/breedinfo3.html. We hope that these articles and our website will help you not judge all pit bull type dogs by the actions of your neighbor’s dog.

• BellaChee says:

A good friend of mine recently had a dog break in to her back yard and almost kill her small dog. The small dog was in the hospital for days with severe internal injuries. Miraculously the little dog survived, but barely. Guess what, it wasn’t a pit bull that broke in and did this. it was a LABRADOR RETRIEVER!! So you cannot judge all labs based on this one’s actions, just like it is not fair to judge all pit bulls based on what happened to your dog. @JennaLeangus

• @JennaLeangus

I am sorry for your lost however, you and Pauls negative comments are directed in the place. It may have been a pit bull that attacked your dog however, your beef should not be with this particular bully breed. Your beef should be with your neighbor. Do you know the conditions in which the dog lived? Had there been an issue with your neighbor or the dog? Did you report it? At no point am I pointing fingers at you nor blaming you for what happen to your and your dog. If you took as much time to investigate how to have your neighbor pay for some of the damages (punitive) for your loss as you have posting ill information I’m sure you would be further along in your healing. It baffles me that you and other non-supportive folk take the time to attempt to spread negativity here or other sites or in general. I do wish you well in your healing and deal with the deed (neighbor) than the breed.

• cschanz says:

@JennaLeangus: I’m sorry to hear that happened to your dog. I hope he is okay now.

But it isn’t just pits…my cat was attacked by a Rat Terrier (Eddie on Frasier for those who don’t know the breed) and it was completely unprovoked. He got out of his collar before the attack.

I can’t find the comment someone else made about the pit not being able to “rip your dogs leg off”…totally untrue. The little dog that attacked my cat almost had her leg off and would have if I hadn’t jumped in and physically removed him from her. Kitty’s leg had to be amputated because the bone was completely shattered, so it CAN definitely happen.

• IceTease says:

@JennaLeangus You do realize Jenna that if you had to get a rabies vaccine, this was a rabid dog. A rabid animal has some serious issues that have nothing to do with the breed. The sweetest, kindest, gentlest animal is NOT the same animal when it has rabies.

• AnthonyMayes says:

@JennaLeangus that’s just plain ignorance in your breeding you can help it ,it’s your bloodline….

32. RhondaJantzenCortie says:

Having had the breed for 20 years I have to say they find a way in your heart. It’d sad that when not raised right an animal has issues just like a person but when bad things do happen people blame the whole breed and not just the one deed. They are not genetically programmed to snap “rolls eyes” Having worked with animals “medical” and “rescue” I have to say this breed does not deserve the bad rep. And please before you spew ignorance go work for shelters or help a rescue …anything and see what this breed have to endure on a daily basis because of the human race.

• JennaLeangus says:

@RhondaJantzenCortie You don’t know me. I do work in shelters and I foster animals as well. Sorry if my opinion got your panties in a wad. We will agree to disagree. If and when you get attacked by one and see what it’s like then by all means get back to me. I respect your opinion. Come explain all this to my 5 yo son that lost his dog.

• MarcSantini says:

@[email protected] More ill informed misinformation. keep your opinion to yourself, its just harming the damaged reputation of a breed thats already in trouble because of ‘opinions’ like yours.

• JennaLeangus says:

@[email protected] Opinions are like you know what and we all have one. It’s a free country. I have a right to my opinion just like you have yours.

• MarcSantini says:

@[email protected]@RhondaJantzenCortie Part of the responsibility of having rights is to know when, or not to, use them. Responsibility and Maturity Fail.

• RhondaJantzenCortie says:

@[email protected]@RhondaJantzenCortie

What opinion would you be speaking of? Everything I have posted in my statement is fact. You are on the internet google it.

• RhondaJantzenCortie says:

@[email protected]

What opinions are you speaking of in my statement? I mentioned facts. You are on the internet, just google them.

• RhondaJantzenCortie says:

@JennaLeangus

I have been attacked by several breeds as a Vet Tech. Animals do not realize you are trying to help them. As for explaining to your child the loss of a pet that is your job. I have done explained the difference in human and canine/animal behavior to mine. My sister was attacked by a staffy years ago as a teen and for years she was scared of the breed. She is now 45 years old and realizes the difference in a trained animal and one thrown in the backyard. Her and her family spread the positive word of the breed and others that have been on the dangerous dog list. Her breed of dog was a dobie. Predijuce comes in all forms. Now I am not going to do this whole internet war of the breed with you, I hope your son and you can get past this. It was horrible that your child had to be introduced to the bully breed this way instead of uncontrolled kisses.

• AnthonyMayes says:

@[email protected] I’ve been attack twice by another breed doesn’t matter what breed both times i gave them my arm and they didn’t want to let go, but that’s the way they were trained…

• AnthonyMayes says:

@RhondaJantzenCortie rhonda I couldn’t have said it any better

33. tattzz says:

this so reminds me of my pitt bull amy (momo). shes such an awsome pupp! the only time she really ever gets aggressive is when some one threatens a child around her, she doesnt allow that kind of treatment of children and thats the only way that i would have her…..love you momo

34. DebbieFreie says:

I look forward to having one as a family member some day, Lord willing..

• AnthonyMayes says:

@DebbieFreie don’t wait your missing out on real family member they do more for us than we can do for them

35. theenglishrider says:

Pit bulls are dangerous. That’s all there is to it. Mine regularly whips my shins with her wagging tail! She lies at my feet while I cook, creating a tripping hazard! She might smother me one day with her enthusiastic (and surprise) kisses! She hogs the blanket at night, increasing my chances of catching pneumonia! Dangerous, I say!

• vixen says:

@theenglishrider I know what you mean. i have given up trying to keep the blanket on me. mine sleeps under the blanket and wakes me to let him in. that tail will be the death of my shins. but that makes me love him even more.

36. Marie87 says:

I own 3 full adult male pit bulls, all rescues and from different backgrounds. I grew up with a mother who rescued dogs, and most have been pit bulls. A man broke into our house when I was about 8 years old and stabbed my mother…that dog stood by my bedroom where us children where…talk about the worst dog in the World huh? Also, I’ve been attacked by a German Shepard…never have I held anything against that breed because of it…that’s like judging a whole entire race on one person’s actions. I don’t care if people like or dislike my dogs, as a dog owner all I can do is have well behaved dogs that are social.

37. LeeMadison says:

this Paul g character is an angry little man it sounds to me like he is jealous of a breed of animal that is not only physically but obviously mentally superior to himself

38. NicoleMassengaleBrod says:

I do not understand why people with negative things to say come to site that are for positive ideas. I do not like child beauty pageants so I do not go to site that promote them and post negativity. Seriously if you have nothing nice to say than say nothing, move on. You are not going to change anyone’s mind. No one here is going to read what you have to say and suddenly dislike the breed of Pit Bulls. You are wasting your time. I think you come here just to see how many people you can get all worked up. If everyone ignores their ignorance and does not respond to them, they will get bored and go away!

• JennaLeangus says:

@NicoleMassengaleBrod again. I respect your opinion. You are obviously one of the ones that are worked up. I am not trying to change anyones views. I was sharing my experience. Don’t like it? Too bad.

• henchej says:

you obviously are trying to get people worked up because you keep responding like you want to get in some sort of web argument with someone. Your snarkiness in general stinks.

• NicoleMassengaleBrod says:

@JennaLeangus lol I am far from worked up. I actually find it funny that you waist you time posting negative comments on sites where your opinion is not respected nor is it wanted. But since you have nothing better to do be my guest I can ignore you very easily because your comments could never bother me because they come from ignorance!

• JennaLeangus says:

@NicoleMassengaleBrod lol whats really fun that is if you weren’t worked up you would not have felt the need to write me to tell me you weren’t worked up…LMAO!

39. WilmaJBenton says:

Almost all of my pets over the last several years have been adopted from a shelter, rescued off the street or otherwise came into my possession. They have all had different personalities and temperament but have gotten along well with each other however they were paired. We usually keep two dogs and one cat – sometimes more, sometimes less. But I don’t recall a time that I didn’t have one ever since I was a small girl. There was one exception that I can remember when pets weren’t allowed. That wasn’t for long though. kittyping

40. WilmaJBenton says:

My present combo are a 13 yr old cat named Cali (because of the colors) – an 11 yr old collie mix named Sam – and a 6-8 yr old chihuahua named Gizmo. You hardly ever see Cali. She sleeps most of the time on top of the entertainment center. You only love onher when she wants it and no other time. She hates the Vet and we can never get a good thorough examination for her. She hisses at people she doesn’t know or like but she gets down right vicious with the vet. We mostly let her go her own way and do what she wants. She even rules the dogs. Gizmos is our newest . My son found him and brought him home after we had to put down two dogs within a short time because of age. I always wanted a lap dog. He actually rules except when it comes to eating and then he defers to Sam. However he likes to play games with Sam and sometimes keeps his food or treats until Sam has finished and notices that Gizmo has something. Of course Sam goes for it. Sometimes Sam wins – sometimes Gizmo – depends on who is fastest. Then we have Sam – dear sweet Sam is some kind of Collie mix. We got him when a friend took him in off the street and was either going to let him go back to the street or take him to a shelter (and no not a “no-kill” shelter). Continued

• RachaelH says:

@WilmaJBenton my cat is the same freakin way! they have to sedate him every time he goes to the vet just to get a thorough check up.. just to get ANY check up really.. and he tries to kill my dog. hes awful lol but hes cute when he wants to be.

41. WilmaJBenton says:

Continued from last post—

The problem with Sam is he is possessive. Nobody and I mean nobody can come onto our porch let alone in our house. It seems like the doorbell might be the signal. When he hears that he gors into a frenzy and it takes all of our strength to control him. If we don’t answer the door first, we have no problem getting him out , but most people are impatient and keep ringing the bell if you don’t answer right away. If I could get him to accept strangers he would be just perfect. Otherwise he is as sweet as you could want him to be. He mostly lays either next to me or next to my husband who is bedfast from a stroke. One thing I don’t have to worry about is someone breaking in. kittyping

• JoanneDAmoreStrehler says:

@WilmaJBenton My Max is the same way! He is such a love bug and a silly man but let someone try to step in my yard or pull up next to us at a stop light and he goes off!!! Once I can get him to know someone he just loves them to pieces and steals their hearts. He just doesn’t warm up very fast!

• AnthonyMayes says:

@[email protected] remember to be the alpha show him it’s okay if you tell him we are safe around most people..trust in you to lead the pack (family)….

42. Relentless66 says:

All of the above is so true with my baby, Chaos, except for the treat burying. He scarfs them down with hardly any chewing haha. I honestly don’t know what I would do without him. He is my best friend, my therapy dog, and the sweetest most reliable dog I’ve ever owned(: And he has never aggressed, not even when a chow mix tried to take a chunk out of his shoulder at the park, (and he’s not neutered, so even with being “in tact” his aggression level is a hell of a lot lower than a lot of male dogs who aren’t), he’d rather try to get away than fight. So I can safely say, I don’t think I will ever own anything other than a pit bull. Mine makes my life complete and I wouldn’t have it any other way(:

• RachaelH says:

@Relentless66 get him fixed though! only cos if he gets out and gets another dog pregnant that is around 8 more dogs in need of homes so 8 more dogs who die in the shelter!!! ):

• AnthonyMayes says:

@[email protected] not so don’t do it just treat him as your child would you let your kids run loose ….js but if your dog isn’t a family member yes then i agree get him fixed…

• ZaphodTheMeerkat says:

@[email protected]@Relentless66 Now hang on, it has NOTHING to do with letting him run loose, or not being a family member, a neutered dog is most always a better behaved dog!! My daughter has 2 pittys and the neutered one is extremely well behaved, and the other is not so much. We all love them both, and as soon as they can afford it they will get the puppy fixed plain and simple.

My 80 year old Mother was terrified of pits just because of their reputation. I doggie sat a BEAUTIFUL Brindle for a couple months and Mom CRIED when he went home. Sweet and awesome…..It’s just the way they are….

• HelenaSue says:

I know what you mean! My pitty got bit right on the snout by my neighbor’s Akita and just whimpered and hid behind my legs like a sweet baby – there was no attempt to retaliate at all! @Relentless66

43. StacySanchez says:

So True! <3 them all. GO TO THE " THE GENTLE BULLIE BRRED ORGANIZATION" on facebook and you can submit your photo of your Bullie Breed and their story of how great of a dog they truely are! Lets change the minds of millions!

44. StacySanchez says:

So True! <3 them all. GO TO THE " THE GENTLE BULLIE BREED ORGANIZATION" on facebook and you can submit your photo of your Bullie Breed and their story of how great of a dog they truely are! Lets change the minds of millions

45. desktopdiva001 says:

This also sounds like my bully mix, Bogey! Except for the burying a treat part. He usually puts it on the floor first, then looks to see if my other dogs are eating theirs. πŸ™‚ I didn’t actively go looking for a Pit. In fact, they’re illegal in my county. Bogey came to us as the fulfillment of a promise I made to a higher power when my two Labs strayed from home thanks to an idiot cable guy who left the gate open. I got my girl back within the hour, but my boy was missing for 4 days. I visited the county shelter 2x a day looking for him. There are SO many dogs there waiting for adoption (or to be euthanized :-() that I made a promise that I’d adopt another dog WHEN Sancho came home safe & sound. My miracle happened thanks to good samaritans, lots of flyers, and yes, a higher power!!! I searched the shelter’s website, because visiting that place is heartbreaking! Bogey was so scrawny, little thing, but he stared at the camera like he was in charge of the place! The shelter thought he was 2 months old…but he was so underfed that he was actually about 4 or 5 months. Also, he’s very mixed, so he didn’t look like a Pit and they classified him as a Terrier mix. Imagine my surprise when he grew to look like a Pit! He’s captured my heart and is my little shadow following me all over the place. He’s a cuddle bug and weighs about 80 lbs, but still loves to sit on my lap! My only concern is I haven’t socialized him as I did with the Labs, so he’s afraid of strangers and growls at them. But once he gets to know someone, he goes nuts for them. We have a Siamese cat that is crazy in love with him and you’ll always find them sleeping together.

• AnthonyMayes says:

@desktopdiva001 their a great breed our ZIGGY was closer to 100 lbs plus thought he was a lap dog (10 lbs) he also had he’s own siamese cat simon

46. gnor says:

There is no such thing as a bad dog – only bad dog owners. If you take ANY dog, and invest the time and effort into the first year of his life, you will build a relationship that will last the rest of his life. You will also have a “take anywhere” dog that can go wherever you do without embarrassing you.

47. Sammylove says:

I have a question. Has anyone else had a hard time socializing a pit to cats? We just adopted Sammy in Sept. He is all of the good things said here. He just has a major fetish for chasing small animals. I have socialized dogs to cats before and it usually is pretty easy. He just gets very excited which in turn scares the cats. Any ideas on something different I can do? The cats are used to him, he just doesn’t understand that they will snuggle with him if he would just calm down. He has “squirrel” syndrome, like in the movie “up”.

• StacySanchez says:

@Sammylove It can take a little bit for your dog to get used to cats. But i have 3 cats and a pit and one of my cats are mentally challenged. Which means that my pit is GREAT with my cats. It takes repitiion when it comes to training a dog/pit. They can be very hyper. This is because they are considered the “working” dog. First, I would start off by taking your dog for a long walk or run. You have to get them physically tired so you can get some of their “pray” drive out. Then you bring your dog inside with your cats. Keep your dog on the leash and when she or he goes to jump after your cat just give the leash a little tug and say “no”. Eventually your dog will get the idea that cats are NOT to be chaced. But when a pit does NOT get the exercise it needs his/her pray drive can be more intense because they need to release that energy. If your dog is over 2 years old I would buy it a back pack with some weights. Then they feel like they are doing a job for you. =) Good luck!

• AnthonyMayes says:

@[email protected] what stacy said is true.if they don’t go places,rides etc. you have to stay on them..ZIGGY went most every where we did but work..or out to eat we did bring home a doggy bag for him..lol just like our kids went with us…still remember animals (dogs) can sense our feelings or moods. so always be the alpha male/female

• EricaRica says:

If he is a puppy he’s going to continue to chase animals including the cat my dog is a lab and border collie mix i had her when she was a puppy and she just turned 2 and she still does it, it is just what they do. My baby love Deuce is a pit bull and he is 4 and he is starting to simmer down with the cat and other animals as well and as Stacy Sanchez said you got to let the dog know it is not nice to scare the poor cat. Also beware of the cats too because I have caught my cat taunting the dog they are just sneaky like that sometimes and I know if my cat wanted too she could do some damage so that is why I am always trying to get my younger dog to calm down around the cat. But good luck to you and your new baby (Sammy). Tell the cat and Sammy I said Hi!!! @Sammylove

• KateMullaneyPatterson says:

@Sammylove we have found our hyper puppy will chase tge cat for sport, we are not sure any harm is meant, but yes, so much better when he is exercised! One thing we found that works great as deterent to any bad behavior -jumping, mouthing, chasing cats- is shaking coins in a pop can and saying NO “whatever it is”. He hates it and stops what he is doing immediately. Then I give him praise and treats and affection.

• AnthonyMayes says:

@[email protected] this works but remember they sense,( more so with american staffordshire terriers) your fear,control,if you are in charge,the alpha member of pack..they only want to take care of their family..so they will do anything for the pack..so stay in charge of your family so they will trust you will take care of the pack..

• AnthonyMayes says:

@Sammylove ZIGGY my APBT < (like) was 1 year old when i move in with my wife and bad people, trying a be nice these people made him go after cats, 1st time he went after a cat head long into a metal shed cat slipped thru. hole ZIGGY don't BAM head 1st .told my wife it will not happen again so i brought a kitten told ZIGGY as alpha male this is mine…… no ifs ands or buts the kitten is part of my (our) pack..that was 13 years ago and loved he cats over the years…. really it's that easy… they feed off your feelings/vibes how ever you wont to say it…that's the real world, it's the nature of the beast…american staffordshire terrier's are the best family member you can add to your pack……

R I P ZIGGY may 10 1997- nov 14 2011 miss him like he was my blood…

• Snxfan says:

@Sammylove I unfortunately have seen what a crazed dog (not a pit and not mine) can do to a cat (mine:-() so as a result, I took this behavior very seriously when I brought our shelter rescue pit bull home and saw her react to our cats in the same way… I bought an E collar and reintroduced her to the cats, with a “NO KITTY” command before any correction, and time for her to consider before the correction. After the first time (and yes, I tested the e collar on myself many times to make sure it doesn’t hurt! It’s just an annoying tingle) she was happy to calm down, sit, get lots of praise, and ignore the cats. It really is that easy and stress free, and as the dog whisperer says, allows you to correct your animal without frustration and panic, and without her associating the correction as coming from me! It took less that a week for Cricket to completely accept the cats as part of the pack, and to love, cuddle, and groom them. Really, the E collar just served as a prompt for her to calm down. While it wouldn’t be my first choice as a method for breaking bad behavior, I consider it to be the most safe, efficient, and non chaotic way to LISTEN! And if I hadn’t seen it demonstrated by Cesar Milan, I probably wouldn’t have gone that route. Still, considering the danger to the cats that a big over excited dog can be, it is worth the investment.

48. bautista07 says:

i have a 10 month old pit and a 10 month old cat and the second i brought my cat into my house they bonded.that was 5 months ago and til this day i cant seperate them otherwise they go crazy.

49. Mrsjcc0312 says:

We have 2 female blue Pit Bulls, and this soooooo describes our girls….lol…matter of fact, I’m sitting here on the edge of my sofa because my 6 month old is nestled right behind me and our 4 yr old is laying, stretched across the rest of the sofa…hahahahahaaa.

@Mrsjcc0312 the way it should be. πŸ™‚

@[email protected] right,right

• AnthonyMayes says:

@Mrsjcc0312 ZIGGY R I P had he’s own sofa (couch) when company was over he tried to claim he’s couch always climbed behind our friends who sit there, but he loved company..lol

50. RhondaJantzenCortie says:

As of right now I have Demon ~ 10 years old APBT, Macy ~ 6 year old Shih Tzu, Autumn ~ 2 year old Golden Retriever, Roxy ~ 4 month old APBT and Titty ~ 5 month old Pers/ Him cross kitten. All are happy health and friendly. All are scared of the Shih Tzu πŸ˜€ !

51. vixen says:

every word is so true. i have a border collie 11yrs and Hinds 54 Special 11yrs and a crazy big cat who adopted me and of course my pitt. they all sleep together but the pitt is petrified of the cat. just too funny to watch. if Snookie the cat is in the way, Milo the pitt will not go around him he will sit and cry till i move the cat. so much for the big visious animal.

• Snxfan says:

@vixen my pitt sits on the stairs and whines pathetically if the cat is in the way… And if the cat is cuddling her in bed, she doesn’t dare move! Cats seem to be the natural boss of pit bulls!

52. McKenzieTerrill says:

I have never owned a Bully breed before, but I adore them with all my heart. I understand that people have bad experiences with certain breeds often discriminate against the breed, but that is like saying you hate a certain race of people because of one bad experience.

My best friend was attacked by a male American Pit Bull Terrier… Why? It was “unprovoked” but the dog was neglected and abused and treated terribly. My best friend now loves the breed and while she does remain a bit fearful of the breed, she doesn’t discriminate against them. She understands that the dog was neglected and ALL breeds of dog, no matter size, gender, age, etc. are unpredictable but there is always a reason for attacks.

• AnthonyMayes says:

@McKenzieTerrill so true in the 70s dobermans ,80s rots. then 90s drug dealers in big cities used them as fear factor… it worked fact is home owners insurance pays out in dog bites # 1 chows #2 rots #3 pits every breed can be vicious if raised that way,fight to protect the pack (family) doing their job in life…

• MsPony65 says:

@[email protected]

The “problem” is that bully breeds want nothing more than to please the alpha of the pack, i.e. their human master. So even if that means being vicious and attacking, they will do it to make their “loving” master happy.

I want to cry when I think of the horrid things people do to dogs…

53. GADDYS BULLIES says:

TO THE IDIOT’S LIVING IN FEAR OF BULLYS. I HAVE HAD 13 PITTS AT ONE TIME BEFORE REHOMED 9. I RECENTLY LOSE MY TOY AND MINI POODLES TO OLD AGE. NOT ONE OF MY BULLIES HAVE BITTEN ANYONE BUT MY POODLES BIT AT LEAST SOMEONE EVERY DAY. SO IDIOT’S FIGURE THAT ONE OUT!!!!

• cschanz says:

@Gaddys Bullies: insulting people, yelling (all caps) at them, and making them feel stupid doesn’t help make your case. Better to educate with kindness and understanding; otherwise, they’ll just ignore you.

• AnthonyMayes says:

@GADDYS BULLIES ROFL right,right so true go figure..

54. HelenaSue says:

I’ll admit it – I was a Pit Bull racist. When my boyfriend said he wanted one, I said ‘No way!! Don’t you read the news? They’re vicious!!”. Two big amber brown eyes and a red nose later, I have found the love of my life in a pitty. She is my baby girl and I couldn’t imagine a day without her. Anyone who says pits are bad dogs are just misinformed – it’s such a shame, because they’re the best dogs in the world. Now that I’ve had a pit, I would never consider getting another breed.

55. sarropamela says:

I have 4 adorable pits! I have had many dog breeds in my life, but these pits have totally stollen my heart!!! I can’t believe how loving, smart, funny and faithful they are!!! My one female is like a nanny to my little nephew, she follows him around, positions herself so he can’t fall off things and goes up the stairs behind him so he doesn’t fall. Too funny!!! Oh, and she can’t control her licker either!!! I truly love these dogs!!!!They sleep with us, and they have to have covers like we do!! I can’t imagine life without them!!! My other girl is sooo sweet and she smiles when I come in the door, she gets so excited and her whole body waggs! The two boys are such mommy boys!!!! I can’t say enough good about these dogs!! It’s just soooo sad that they are the most abused, misunderstood breed out there!!!

• AnthonyMayes says:

@sarropamela in the U K pits are called nanny dogs….js remember petey on the little rascals show from the 30s well he was a (pitbull) staffordshire terrier our ZIGGY R I P was 14 1/2 years old may 1997- nov 2011 he was and still is a member of our family ….. we miss you ZIGGY…

56. EmilieRothgery says:

I have never read a more true post about pitbulls! I have one pit-mix that we rescued off the streets of Detroit and just adopted a 9-year-old purebred pitbull who is adjusting to his new home like he’s always been here. I couldn’t have asked for better dogs, ever. Dolly especially is guilty of ALL of these traits, and some even more adorable ones, too. My parents won’t allow my sister’s or other dogs over to their house because they jump, bark, nip, etc., but my pitbull is ALWAYS welcome and is invited over even when they have guests! My friends won’t dog-sit in general but make an exception for Dolly because she is so friendly with other dogs and so well-behaved, gentle. I want to have t-shirts made for Dolly and Bo that say “I’m a lover, not a fighter.” The pitbull is such a misunderstood and abused breed. Thank you for sharing the TRUTH about these wonderful, wonderful dogs.

• EmilieRothgery says:

I should also mention that I have two cats, one is very elderly. The youngest was TERRIFIED of dogs the first time she encountered one. These days, she curls next to Dolly regularly — they are BFFs.

• galacticmidwife says:

@EmilieRothgery I rescued a dog off the streets of Oakland, California ~ who was the love of my life!!!!!! I now live in Detroit Area ~~ do you? looking for new friends here ~~

let’s produce these t-shirts, I’ll be glad to help u ~ and we can make some $$ bringing more love into the world, just up our allies ~~ peace ~~ and love, of course

57. AnthonyMayes says:

american staffordshire terriers rule

58. galacticmidwife says:

Do a series with Leela in the photos instead; that would be so nice for Xmas cards !! via fb of course !

In Lak’ech (did u kno I was spelling it wrong for moons? My spellcheck even spells it wrong now too!! ~ proving we are all one now ~~ peace

59. michebagparties says:

Reposted and shared! We HAVE to warn the masses!!

60. JessicaGrassa says:

So True! My Pitty is the best dog I have ever been around. He doesnt have a mean bone in his body!

61. pwetta925 says:

We have a pit bull named Henry that we rescued from a no kill shelter. He had been passed by for along time and had signs all over his pin that said BEWARE . We were told that he was people aggressive, other animal aggressive and would probably never be a good pet. He now has a good home with us. We have 2 other dogs in our household and they get along just fine. He is loving, loyal and a wonderful companion. I had never thought about having a pit until I met Henry and now I am hooked.

62. anutter1549 says:

We have two Pit Bulls, Landon & Jake, that we rescued. I have had dogs, of all breeds, growing up and I have to say that these two boys are the best! We recently rescued Jake in August and due to him being abandoned at a puppy he has really bad separation anxiety. We now take him to see a behavior therapist to help him overcome his fear of being left alone. He is so sweet & loving, I don’t understand how someone just could have left him to die. People need to realize that it’s not the breed, it’s the owners.

63. MarinaPech says:

We have 2 pits and a maltese they r the best of friends, #10 it never fails!!!!!!

64. MarinaPech says:

WE HAVE 2 PITS, KING AND PEPPER AND THEIR BOSS A MALTESE TRIXIE, THEY ARE THE BEST OF FRIENDS, I COULD NOT STOP SMILING AS I WAS READING THIS, MADE MY DAY πŸ™‚

65. Vickiemj says:

I’m trying to upload photos. Don’t see how. I recently adopted an Am Staff. He’s a remarkable dog. He’s close to 2 years old and was rescued at about 6 months. Found on the side of a road, beaten, resulting in multiple injuries including 2 broken back legs, Bentley has undergone 3 or 4 surgeries to repair them as best possible. He’s doing extremely well with no signs of fear. Is so happy and fun. He has stollen my heart.

66. PitLuva says:

Love this. I also have two pit bulls, 6 year old Skye and 3 year old Kratos. Skye is a therapy dog and she changes peoples minds about the breed every day. I lost three this past year, one to a muscle wasting disease and two to old age. As heartbreaking as it is to lose them, I can’t ever be without one.

67. redeyes says:

i rescued my pit, sadies when she was only little pup, real little, she is a midget. really. she just turned 15 in oct and when people meet her they think she is still a puppy, she changes everyones mind about the breed once they meet her, i have friends that got pitbulls just cause of the way she is. i will always care for pitbulls for the rest of my life, i love em absolute sweethearts

68. jtpencil says:

Our sweet pit, Cadela, was dumped in our neighborhood along with her Mom and sister. We took her, another family took the sister, and Mom disappeared. I hope she found a family, too. Cadela is one of the most affectionate dogs I have ever been blessed with. She is extremely social, and seems to wag her whole body when the neighborhood kids kiss and hug her. I hope to take in another “heart-warmer” of this breed when our situation allows. SO SWEET! Maybe since Stubbydog is in Scottsdale, I could volunteer some time or funds, as I am in Arizona, also.

69. GADDYS BULLIES says:

I LIVE IN SPARTANBURG SC. AND SINCE OUR COUNTY LEADERS HAVE HAD A MONEY ISSUE WITH HUMANE SOCIETY I PERSONALLY HAVE HAD 5 HOMELESS DOGS SHOW UP ON MY DOORSTEP. IF YOU LIVE IN THE COUNTY YOU CAN’T TAKE A STRAY TO THEM! WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE? SOME OF THESE DOGS ARE STARVING AND COVERED WITH FLEAS. WHILE DOING THE BEST I CAN TO HELP AND REHOME, STILL THERE ARE MORE COMMING AROUND! I REALLY NEED MY OWN BULLY RESCUE!!!! COME ON LOTTERY! SO MANY DREAMS BUT NO MONEY! ANYONE WANT TO GET TOGETHER TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!!!! DOGS ARE PEOPLE TOO…..

70. sarropamela says:

That’s probably a good and bad thing. I think these shelters are sometimes horrid for these animals, but I hate to see any animal starve or be running loose to be in danger!! Maybe you could get some help from people or companies in the area to help with the cost for them? Did you check with local rescue groups? Maybe call the ASPCA??? Are the strays Pits? I think we all need to get together and start a Pit Stop group that we could get money to rescue the poor abused and neglected pits and the ones on death row!!! I think if these rescue groups had more funding it would help. I’ll look into that!!!

71. GADDYS BULLIES says:

ANYONE KNOW IF ANYONE AT ANIMAL CONTROL REALLY EXIST IN SPARTANBURG SC? THERE IS A CROSS ROAD AT THE CORNER OF CROKER RD AND PATTERSON, IN MY AREA THAT IS A FAVORITE DROP SITE FOR UNWANTED DOGS. I WAS DRIVING EARLIER TODAY AND SAW THE MOST HORRIFIC SIGHT! A MALE BLACK AND WHITE PIT MIX WITH SCARS AND INJURIES BEYOND MY HELP I ASK A NEIGHBOR TO CALL ANIMAL CONTROL, AS THE DOG LOOKED VERY SICK. WHY IS IT SO HARD TO GET HELP FOR THESE ANIMALS! I THINK EVERY PERSON THAT IS CAUGHT NEGLECTING AND ABUSING ANIMALS SHOULD HAVE TO SERVE TIME IN JAIL WITH HARD LABOR. ALSO TO BE TREATED LIKE THEY TREATED THEIR ANIMALS. SURE IT IS CRUEL AND UNUSUAL, I JUST DON’T GIVE A F@@K! I HAVE A FRIEND THAT HAS A DOG INVOLVED IN A FIGHT THAT WAS INSTIGATED BY ANOTHER PERSON AND THEIR DOG,AND MY FRIEND GOT A TICKET WITH FINES…WHAT IS UP WITH THAT? NO JUSTICE FOR A “LABELED” BAD BREEDS

72. MattFaraldo says:

Theres only 3 kinds of people when it comes to pits. Those who’ve had them and in them found the most loyal, lovable companion on earth, people who are scared of them because, well, they look intimidating with those all too knowing eyes and they’ve see on the news that pitbulls are more dangerous that letting you 4 month old play with kitchen knives, and those good buddy’s of ours who buy one because its ‘cool’, then promptly chain them to the front tree and forget about them, especially here in texas as the weather crests 100 regularly during the summer.

My pits have been my babbies. I’ve had four, A mother, 2 of her litter who are currently 11, and an adopted shelter pit (4 year old female altred) who cant understand why she’s not allowed to sleep in every bed and couch in the house. Nothing comes close to making her as happy as that minute when I walk in from work and she see’s me. You’d think it was Christmas, Thanksgiving, and her birthday all rolled into one giant ball as she bounds down the stairs to see me. These dogs, this breed, are the only one for me. After 10+ years and no bad experience (including supervised time with small children who just love them, and our 3 year old hyper aggressive scottish terrier,whom our pit finds mildly amusing and that’s it, there has never been so much as an inkling of a problem. Great loud guard dogs, extremely loyal, and just love people. This is always going to b the breed for me. πŸ˜‰

• GADDYS BULLIES says:

@MattFaraldo KUDOS FOR YOUR FAMILY! I TOTALLY AGREE ALTHOUGH I JUST LOST MY MINI AN TOY POODLES THIS YEAR TO OLD AGE AND CANCER. I WOULD WANT ANOTHER POODLE JUST TO PUT BOWS AND DRESSES ON IT. I TRIED TO PUT A DRESS ON MY FEMALE PIT, SHE JUST OUTGREW IT EVERY TWO WEEKS. I KNOW . LOL, BUT I HAVE TWO GROWN HUMAN BOYS AND I NEED A LITTLE GIRL POODLE! MY BULLIES WERE SO SAD WHEN MY MINI PD WAS GONE THEY GOT TO SAY GOODBY BEFORE I PUT HIM IN HIS GRAVE. THAT IS A VICIOUS PIT HE CRIED FOR TWO DAYS….

• pamirvin46 says:

@MattFaraldo my pit/ab mix is my baby. he has nursed kittens with more devotion, than i daresay, their mothers. he and our ferret would play together. he would gently pick her up without hurting her. all1 or 2 lbs of her. i have known a few pits, and i just cant understand the prejudice. the owners should be held accountable for the bad names these dogs get. it is truly how you raise a dog that matters. zeus was raised around small children and animals from 6 wks on and he is the gentlest dog i have ever known<3

73. danacat1 says:

I had a poodle when I was growing up that was WAAAAY more aggressive and snippy than my Pit mix Libby is even capable of being. She IS pure love. This girl embodies all of the points in “The top 10 reasons you can’t trust a Pitbull”. She opened my heart in ways that I didn’t realize it was closed and changed me forever. I thought I was going to rescue a dog when i got her, but over the years I have realized, that she rescued me. I am now a devoted Pit Bull girl!!

• GADDYS BULLIES says:

@danalee YEP ME TOO! SO I GUESS NO ONE WATCHED VICTORIA STILLWELL, ON ITS ME OR THE DOG. I HAVE COME TO REALIZE THAT PEOPLE ONLY GET OFF ON HORROR PIT STORIES.NEVER TELLING THE WHOLE STORY. TIME TO START AWARENESS PEOPLE. POWER TO BULLIES!!!!!!!!

74. efrassinelli says:

I had 2 of the sweetest most loving pit bulls that I was devoted to, and still am, Olive Pits and Zazsu Pits. I would not trade one minute of watching over them and protecting them from the ugly world. I miss them both desperately and hope to have another in my future. They watched and guarded me in the most subtle way, never did they show their strength or devotion except once when I was clearly threatened and even then they just made their intentions clear. There is nothing like it in the world to be loved and trusted by a pit pup. God bless everyone who shares their life with a pit, you will have a fulfilled life!

75. grammy54 says:

I have the most sweetest most loving pit bull. Diesel is only 2 and he is my little clown. he will chase his tial one way and then when tired of that he will start the other way. it does not matter if he is on the floor or on the bed or sofa he just starts and keeps it up untill he gets a hold of it. he likes to play but wont give his toys back to us to play. he loves to bark and bark and bark . even when we are eatting dinner. he loves to eat any thing and every thing . we have to keep all paper products out of his reach or we have trouble. we go Diesel when some one moved out and left him and his mother behind. He is my baby.

76. MsPony65 says:

Oh, how I love blockhead dogs!

I have an AB that is often mistaken for a pit. I say, “Well, no, but kind of…” Bud D is the mellowest dog on four wheels. If he were any more laid back, he’d fold in half. It’s astounding how wonderfully sweet he is, b/c his former owners (drug dealers) tried to make him aggressive. Fortunately for us, the police turned him over to a bully rescue, and we now have the most excellent companion dog in the world (well, the most excellent one for us – I’m sure there are many folks who feel the same way about their bully buddies!)

The one dangerous thing about him is his gaseous emissions. Whew! Oh, and his tail is somewhat treacherous… When you have two tons of love stuffed into the back end of a dog, all that energy is concentrated when the tail whips around!

• pitbulllover says:

@MsPony65 You also have to lookout for those wonderful head buts when you return home because they are so excited that mommy is home and they are trying to give you a BIG WET ONE! After all you haven’t been kissed until you are kissed by a bully…

• pamirvin46 says:

@MsPony65 i have a pit/ab mix. people are taken aback at his size. he is a gentle giant. he sleeps with my teen daughter in her twin bed! aside from his gaseous emissions, he snores like a freight train. he loves children and when he sees a kid, his tail goes crazy and his eyes just light up:) i wouldnt trade Zeus for anything. hes our baby!!!

77. JaneScroggins says:

I woke up this morning with a pit bull in bed with me and the 9 month old cat asleep on the dog! The bed gets crowded! That vicious dog backs off if the other cat threatens her. She tries to talk and the sales people at the local Pet Smart come by to pet her when we go to buy dog food. I think she is a bit of a celebrity! They are the best companion dogs in the world. Where I live we have breed specific laws so when the dog and I go to walk we have to drive to another county. Stupid.

78. Helengemmasmom says:

This is such a beautiful site, thank you for all your positive support. People are so ignorant with their views of Pits, but, once they’ve met one, and do look into their eyes, their views will change. I’ve had many different breeds of dogs, Gemma is our first Pit. She is the best thing that has happened to us in a very long time. SHe is a rescue from New York, by loving rescuers, and she’s changed our lives. She’s 3 months old now, and I don’t remember what it was like wihtout Gemma. She’s a total clown when she does her night crazies, through our open floor plan home, skidding around corners on the wooden floors. SHe does hide treats inside the couch, under the cushions, behind the toilet, and even in my shoe closet!! She’s so gentle with our 2 older chuihuahas, she knows they’re smaller and is careful with them. She has the most expressive eyes that melt you. I expect many memories with Gemma and her little sisters and I feel so blessed that she was rescued, because, SHE rescued us.

79. FrankRoberts says:

Every one of these is so true.

80. SusanQuigs says:

You left one out… They will jump up and slobber on your face from a sit, leaving no time to stop the slobber.

81. SusanQuigs says:

82. StacySanchez says:

Anyone that has a fb go to “The Gentle Bullie Breed” page and submit your photo of you bullie and post a great story about them! That page is for everyone not just one person or one subject. It will show people that they CAN be a great dog if in the right hands. Lets change the minds of millions!

83. Sara E James says:

Have you guys heard about Lennox, the pitbull type dog that was removed from his home in Belfast? He didn’t do anything wrong, but one day animal control came and determined him to be a pitbull which is against their breed laws, and took him from his family. They have a campaign to save him because Belfast City Council wants to put him down. They have a website, SaveLennox.co.uk and a Facebook page. He was actually a companion dog for the family’s disabled daughter.

84. alesiamedas says:

Oh, very touching. That is probably a good thing, sometimes animals are better than human because they show love purely and the loyalty are always still there. I hurt when I see some people putting off dogs, they are animals but they also need love and care as a human needs.

85. RichardSlack says:

I totally love these 10 reasons,!!!