Air Force Bans Pit Bulls on Bases

September 22, 2011

A new pet policy prohibits pit bulls and several other breeds from base housing

By Micaela Myers

Joining the Marine Corps and Army, which previously banned pit bulls on bases, the Air Force’s new pet policy bans five types of dogs from base housing: pit bulls, Doberman Pinschers, Rottweilers, Chow Chows and wolf hybrids.

Residents who have one of these breeds can likely keep their pet until their current housing changes (provided the animal doesn’t display any “bad” behavior); but if they have to switch duty locations, they may not be able to take their dog with them into base housing. The policy also prohibits the acquisition of any new banned pets.

Breed-discriminatory legislation and policies such as this have proven ineffective at making communities safer, but unfortunately, misguided leaders continue to put them into place.

After the Marine Corps and Army banned pit bulls on bases, many of our military heroes and their families were forced to give up their beloved family members, and shelters were flooded with newly homeless pit bull type dogs who had done nothing wrong—they were just born in pit bull type bodies.

If you are impacted by this new policy, or know someone who is, please e-mail StubbyDog ([email protected]) and share your story.

« « The 85-pound Lap Dog | Baby J » »

Comments

30 Responses to “Air Force Bans Pit Bulls on Bases”
  1. My Pit Bull is Family says:

Please, UNITE TO END DISCRIMINATION OF OUR FAMILY DOGS IN HOUSING AND INSURANCE by joining My PIt Bull is Family on Facebook – a ‘lobby’ of pit bull lovers who are working to develop a nationwide database of property management companies, landlords and insurance companies. Our goal is to reward companies that support our families and help pit bull families across the country find fair housing and insurance coverage.

2. jennmartinelli says:

This is terrible. And really really makes me angry.

3. RoseGuieb says:

The Navy is the same way, its all the armed forces!

• MargeAllen says:

thats right our so called GOV. AND IM SO SICK OF IT TO, ALL THEY DO IS LIE TO US AND THEN THEY WANT TO MAKE US PAY THEM FOR IT, WE THE PEOPLE ARE SICK AND TIRED OF THIS WHY JUST WHY DONT THEY GET THEIR NOSES OUT OF OUR HOMES AND START DOING WHAT THEY PROMISED , LIKE BRING OUR TROOPS HOME, NOW THEY SEEM TO THINK ITS BETTER TO TELL US WHAT KIND OF A DOG WE CAN OWN LOOK OUT AMERICANS WE ARE LOSING OUR FREEDOM MORE AND MORE EVERY DAY @RoseGuieb

4. My Pit Bull is Family says:

WE can create change, but only through a large lobby, with the power of NUMBERS of people. Please join us to END DISCRIMINATION. Inaction is killing our family dogs.

5. debber60 says:

What a horrible message the Armed Forces is sending to the world. Those that have signed up to defend our country (and DO SO) are not good enough to be able to care for and train and socialize their own pets? It’s proven that it is NOT the dog but the owner and the environment the dog is forced to live in that matter. I wonder what they are trying to avoid here?

@debber60 We can’t speak for the Armed Forces, but it seems it’s the same where ever they institute BDL, a fear-based discrimination.

6. AdrienneClegg says:

This has been a shame on on military, and continues with the Air Force. I am ashamed for them and of them. Disgraceful!

7. katereeve says:

WHY?? This is so terrible. I expect this from many of our elected officials now. That knee-jerk reactions overrule good, sound and statistically backed decisions ALWAYS, but who is more like our military than these dogs? TO server? That’s what they do! To protect? That is what they do! Stg. Stubby? COME ON! I can’t take this anymore. I get so angry and don’t know how to help when we are ignored and politicians don’t listen!

8. KatyWilkerson says:

I wonder if they bothered to ask those living on the bases if they would feel safer without pitties, dobbies, and chows in their neighborhoods? Come to think of it, did any city government that banned breeds of dogs ask the general population what they thought? I thought the people were suppose to be in charge, not the government. I don’t understand how they can decide to do this kind of thing without getting the support of the people they are suppose to be representing…

9. JennaBeautifully-ManiacalSmith says:

This is the reason why, as a member of the military, I will never go active duty. I own two pitties, along with a shepherd mix. These babies are my children, and I wouldn’t give them up for the world. These laws are disgusting.

10. buddieandreilly says:

This is a giant step backwards, again. My daughter is listed in my will to care for my dogs if anything happens to me. Now that is not possibled because one of my dogs is a pit bull pussycat, and her husband is in the Navy. My ten year old grandson walks my pit while I walk my other dogs nearby. He loves to walk her. This law makes no sense except to try to show that policticians can make idiot laws to give the impression they are doing something. Guess what, politicians, if all you are doing is passing idiot laws, you are a useless waste of taxpayer money, and hurting innocents in the process.

If they really want to do good, how about stronger dog laws against: dog fighters, animal abusers, puppy mills, people who dump their dogs and leave them to fend for themselves on the streets, encouraging dog owners to train their dogs and not just tie them in the yard and forget them. There are so many constructive things to be done, why settle on banning breeds. Breeds are not the problem. People who are ill equiped or too uncaring to proper train and treat their dogs are the problem. Help support responsible ownership, not breed banning.

@buddieandreilly Very well said, we can all get behind politicians who promote responsible dog guardianship and stricter laws on puppy mills, backyard breeding, animal cruelty and dog fighting.

11. MandeeO'Shea-illausky says:

CONSIDERING LABS WERE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE MAJORITY OF REPORTED DOG BITES LAST YEAR SHOULDNT THEY BE ADDED TOO? How many times do they need to prove that BSL has done NOTHING! This is disgusting. Sargent Stubby is surely not happy about this! Pitbulls are AMERICAS dog yet due to ignorant irresponsible abusive owners they are left to pay the price smh.. Land of the free my ass!

12. JennaBeautifully-ManiacalSmith says:

Lt. Lena and Cpt Hannah aren’t happy about this either. It’s people’s ignorance that causes this. Let’s not hate on our military, because we have nothing to do with this. Trust and believe that if it was our decision, we would have our terrifying teddybear and ant killers living with us.

13. KatyWilkerson says:

I read this article and right beside the comments is a picture of a pit bull who was used by the Washington State Patrol as an explosives sniffing dog. Next to his pic it says that since they employed him, they’ve added 5 more pitties to the squad. Why will our military officials (not the individual families. I asked in my last post if they had even bothered to ask before passing this insane law) ban a breed that more and more police units are starting to use??? WTF????

@KatyWilkerson Hopefully the military will see the value in pit bulls and realize that it’s not the dog that is to blame.

14. Heather'sPitbulls says:

FREEDOM WHAT FREEDOM? you can risk your life but you cant have the dog of your choice, freakin stupid! American Pit Bull Terriers were once an American Icon presidents owned them and they the mascot for our military because there are brave, courageous, and tenacious. Bulldogs have a lot of the same characteristics as pit bulls but i dont see them getting banned. NO TO BSL!!!

@Heather’sPitbulls We all hope that BSL will be stopped every where, including military housing. At StubbyDog, we are doing all we can to change perceptions, we are just waiting for the rest of the world to catch up.

15. rebtris says:

YES! At last someone with the guts to do what needs to be done in spite of all the whining coming from the pit bull crowd. Pit bulls killed more people than ALL other dog breeds combined in 2010 & 2011. The have lead the statistics for fatal dog attack EVERY year since 2003. They are BRED to be unpredictable, savage and notoriously tenacious. They are not suited to be kept as household pets. I wish the entire country would ban these dogs and make our children, relatives, neighbors and pets able to walk down the street again without fear of being attacked by one of these ill bred dogs.

• jennmartinelli says:

@rebtris You are an idiot. Pit bulls were actually originally “bred” to be very people-friendly. Also the last statistics I saw had many more commonly accepted breeds with much higher bite rates – such as labs and golden retrievers. Obviously you have no idea what you are talking about. It’s a shame you felt the need to accost everyone here with your ignorant comment. Enjoy living on in stupidity and ignorance.

[email protected] You have obviously fed into the media hype about pit bulls and are incredibly misinformed. Pit bulls aren’t bred to be anything but loving, people oriented dogs, and it is close minded to judge any type of dog.
      As for your incorrect statistics on dog bites, please read this: http://stubbydog.org/2011/07/when-dogs-bite/
      Also, pit bulls aren’t a breed, it’s a generic term applied to American pit bull terriers, American Staffordshire terriers, and hundreds of mixes containing elements of these breeds. You can read this to learn more: http://stubbydog.org/2011/01/pit-bull-facts/
      You can also read any story on this site if you want to open your mind. If not, you should hope that one day it’s not your breed of dog that is demonized by the media, the public and treated grossly unfairly by government and municipalities.

• KatyWilkerson says:

[email protected] wow you have to be one of the most ignorant people on the planet. You state the exact problem with ALL breeds of dogs in your own post. Any breed can have members that are ill bred and can cause problems (look in the mirror to see an example of the human race). Pit bulls were called “nanny dogs’ back in the day because of their love of children and their protective natures toward them. Every piece of literature that I have ever seen says the exact opposite about pit bulls. Dumb, evil people who have no right to breath, let alone to have control over a dog of any breed, make the mean pit bulls that the media loves to report on. They don’t report on any of the good pit bulls who work as therapy or rescue dogs because those stories don’t get viewers. Educate yourself before you pipe off at the mouth again.

• debber60 says:

[email protected] all honesty, I fear ignorant people like you more than I would ever fear a dog–and YES!! That is what a ‘Pit Bull’ is–a DOG!!

16. JeffCurtis says:

[email protected]
     you do know that people can train a goat to attack right?

17. JeffCurtis says:

[email protected]
     you do know that people can train a goat to attack right?

18. Breanne says:

In my opinion all the breed negativity towards pit bulls, rottweilers, doberman pinschers, and other breeds is a result of our poor legal system and failure of better legislature on pet owners and especially breeders.

19. Nik says:

Even on some bases American bull dogs are banned but its redic how pit bulls are banned at every base that’s why you need to find a good vet to write off your dog as a different breed , and what people don’t get is that all a “pit bull” is is a bull dog cross bread with a terrior and that makes an ABPT this BSL makes me sick its racism that’s all it is and that was stopped so I’m sure if every one with a bully bread all takes a stand it will b gone