Senior Success Story

August 17, 2011

A 9-year-old pit bull finds his perfect forever home

By Vicki Brown

Our Staffordshire Terrier, Elliott, died at the age of 17 years old. I found him at work 15 years prior, and since no one claimed him, I put him in the car with a cookie and brought him home. We had adopted Suzy, a 3-year-old pit mix, the year before his death.

Six months after Elliot died I felt it was time to add another dog to our pack of three: me, my husband Rick, and Suzy. I went in search of an American Pit Bull Terrier. I have always loved their personalities. They’re funny, caring, loving, loyal and calm. I liked the look of the breed – the turned over ears, the short hair, the large head and that tail, especially when it wags. I wanted to find an older dog so I didn’t have to go through the puppy stage. In my search I came across a picture of Pierre.

There was something that drew me toward him. I kept coming back to his picture online and reading his bio. Soon enough I adopted the 9-year-old dog from a Pit Bull Rescue San Diego.

We’ve had Pierre for a year and we couldn’t be happier. When we come home from work he greets us barking, waging his tail and turning in circles. He loves being with us and relaxes near us along with Suzy. In the morning he will sun himself and then come in to find us.

He’s a funny dog. One Saturday morning as I came down the stairs Suzy greeted me, but I couldn’t find Pierre. Pierre had gotten himself closed in the garage. He has a habit of pushing his head against the garage door to see if we’re in there. This time, he apparently, got locked in the garage doing it! When I let him out it was as if I had been gone from him for 10 years; he ran through the house, barking, rubbing up against me for hugs and kisses. He was so happy.

We estimate that Pierre can live to be about 16 years old, so we have many good years ahead of us with him. For anyone wanting an addition to their family, do consider an older dog as they are so appreciative and still have a lot of life in them. Pierre has fit into our calm, quiet home. Yes, we have fun, but we all enjoy just being with one another, and Suzy and Pierre get along beautifully.

We love Pierre and we couldn’t be happier to have him in our home.

« « The Bull Some Pits Must Tolerate… | Making End-of-Life Decisions » »

Comments

12 Responses to “Senior Success Story”
  1. LoriJolly says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! Pierre was a huge favorite with all of us at Pit Bull Rescue San Diego. The video that was on our site of him, was taken in my backyard about 20 minutes after he was pulled from the shelter. I have never seen a happier dog than he was at that moment! It didn’t take me long to fall in love! Thank you again for giving him the family, and love, that he SO deserves!

2. DeniseM1 says:

Thank U for sharing this positive story , we need more positive stories to get the word out so that more ppl will consider adopting one of these beautiful loving loyal dogs, to many of them are bred for the wrong reasons and end up in the wrong hands then unfortunately in shelters around the world . If more responsible ppl would start adoppting and giving them the FURREVER homes that the need we may be able to at one point hopefully in the near future stop all the MADNESS !!! Love this breed and i would rescue them all if i could but i can’t so i always try to get postive stories across to others about how they r just like any others breed <3

3. kerbear81281 says:

I took that second picture of Pierre when I brought him over to my house for a sleepover! He was the first pittie I worked with when I started volunteering with PBRSD, and was one of the dogs who got me hooked on the breed. He is SUCH a happy dog. Always smiling and wagging his tail. I also helped with his adoption. We introduced him to Suzy and they were instant best friends. We knew this was going to be a perfect fit. Pierre is a special dog and he will be in my heart always!

4. StubbyDog says:

@LoriJolly Isn’t it so nice to actually see the happy endings of dogs you were invested in? Pierre is one happy boy, thanks Lori for helping him to find his forever, happy family.

5. StubbyDog says:

@DeniseM1 Thanks Denise, we are trying to do all we can to get positive words out about pit bulls.

6. StubbyDog says:

@kerbear81281 Thanks for sharing, and for helping Pierre find his perfect home. We should always keep in mind the wonderful people at organizations like PBRSD that help these dogs and see their potential and find them wonderful homes like Pierre has. Thank you for all you do!

7. VickiBrown says:

We have truly been happy with Pierre. I love how Suzy and him get along. He fits in well with our family and he is so well behaved. Both Rick and I will sit in the kitchen and they will come through; knock our arm so that it lands on their backs for a rub. I find myself sitting and the next thing I will notice a dog sitting beside me getting their back rubbed. I would say in our family we respect and care for one another. And yes, we as humans should respect our animals.

8. CaseyFerrara says:

I LOVE Pierre!! When he was in boarding…I worked there at the time and he would be my special buddy of the day. I would crawl into his kennel and hand feed him when he first got there because he was nervous. I would lay blankets down for “us” and I would just cuddle with him. I fell in love with Pierre the day I met him at an pbrsd event. I wanted to adopt him but my landlord was not on board 🙁 I am so happy he found such an amazing and loving home. Congrats to both him and you!

9. StubbyDog says:

@CaseyFerrara I’m sure Vicki would join us in thanking you for giving Pierre extra special loving during his time before he got adopted. People like you are truly the unsung heroes in rescue, those that take the time and give that special attention to the dogs in need. Thank you.

10. macmack2791 says:

I had the honor of watching Pierre for about 7 days last year. He was such a delight! The barking, tail wagging and circles were something that he did every time I came home! I loved it! He is such a joyful dog! I am so happy to hear that you all have become a loving and happy family!

11. macmack2791 says:

12. StubbyDog says:

@macmack2791 It’s so nice that so many wonderful people had a hand in helping Pierre find his perfect home.