Bubba Sank Like a Stone

June 14, 2011

Sometimes summer fun means staying on shore

By Ken Jones

Bubba and I used to walk each day at the Flat Rock Reservoir in Fitchburg, Mass. On a hot summer day Bubba and a couple of his buddies decided to try the water. One of the two legs threw a stick. The other dogs (Bubba was the only pit) ran into the water and started swimming. Bubba ran into the water and stayed on the bottom. He was well over his head when he noticed something wrong. He planted his feet, leapt up to the surface, grabbed a gulp of air, turned around, sank, and ran back to shore.

That was the beginning and the end of Bubba’s water activities.

« « Vick Dog Adoption Stories: A Cuddle Fiend Finds a New Vocation | To Park or Not to Park » »

Comments

8 Responses to “Bubba Sank Like a Stone”
  1. CarlaVance says:

I had to get a dog life jacket for my pitt it kept her afloat untill she understood the how to swim thing! After about a week she swam like a pro without the jacket.

2. Ruby the PitBull says:

Oh my goodness! if that dog were brindle, he would be my twin…just look at that face!!!…VERY nice looking dog. Mom bought us Pitties life jackets to help us swim. But now we don’t want to go into the water without them. Not what Mom and Dad had in mind I sure! Sure is fun though..Heh, Heh, Heh

3. StubbyDog says:

@CarlaVance Thanks Carla, that’s good to hear.

4. StubbyDog says:

@Ruby the PitBull Aw Ruby, are you smitten with Bubba?

5. Ha! Adorable and hilarious (so glad there was a happy ending, too). My dog accidentally fell into our old pool a couple of times and he did the same thing — just sank, his eyes wide open and scared. A few other times he jumped in to chase things and the same thing happened. Luckily for us someone was there to scoop him up right away, but it was scary nonetheless!

6. RebeccaTomlinsonDoane says:

I took our blue pit, Marley, to the lake for the first time. She wasnt thrilled at all. She stood and watched a lab swimming and looked up at me with her big eyes as if to say”I will be happy just to watch, but I will drink some water because Im hot. So she went to the edge got her in up to her paws got her drink and was ready to go back to the car!

7. StubbyDog says:

@annedreshfield Thanks for sharing Anne, we suppose not all dogs can swim.

8. StubbyDog says:

@RebeccaTomlinsonDoane Haha, thanks for your comments Rebecca, sounds like Marley knew exactly what she wanted.